Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint
When cutting the dovetail socket to join the top drawer rail to the table leg, I had relied on chisels. Recently, I treated myself to a LN small router plane, and I was surprised at how well it handled end grain trimming of the bottom of the socket. Easy to dial in the exact depth of the socket with a perfectly clean surface. Nice!

Do a Schwarz and start the thing with a forstner bit, and it will be even easier. Having a flat bottom as your base let's you just work on taking corner meat out. Try it, you'll like it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Do a Schwarz and start the thing with a forstner bit, and it will be even easier.

Ok, you've got me curious now. What's all this about using a forstner bit? Got a link or anything?
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
If you're going to do that, it would be better/faster to use a trim router right? you could hog out most of it that way
Nice.

I have a small brass router plane that I use in a similar fashion. But mostly for cleaning out small mortises.
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
I'm not so sure it would be as helpful drilling into endgrain, but here is a link to Schwarz's approach to removing half-blind dovetail waste with a drillpress.
Ok, got it!
See ya around,
Dominic
What is all this heresy of forstner bits and trim routers: have respect for the zen experience that is handtool woodworking
Steve N said:

Do a Schwarz and start the thing with a forstner bit, and it will be even easier. Having a flat bottom as your base let's you just work on taking corner meat out. Try it, you'll like it.

My wife says I have a flat bottom, but it doesn't seem to help my dovetailing...

Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
wrong bottom
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW