The search for the drill press.
Had someone drop of a bunch of cut 2" pipe who need through 3/4" holes in each one- total of 84 holes. My 25+ year old drill press decides to break down. Looks like maybe a frozen bearing and smoked the belts.
I need this job finished as promised Saturday by noon.

So; I called home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Tractor supply. No one had a drill press bigger than a little 8"-10" toy bench model! The lady at Sears actually hung up on me when I asked if she would check other stores (I'll remember that)!
The only place that had a larger 14"+, 1 hp drill press (and only one in stock) was Northern tool. I rushed to pick it up. Woodcraft was too far away and only had "Jet", and I don't like Jet- way overpriced for asian made and way underpowered.

I remember years back going into Sears (Maybe even the box stores) just to look at the tools. The tool sections were huge and every tool and machine you could imagine was on display and plenty in stock. I guess those days are gone. For those of us who need a tool right now instead of ordering it and waiting on shipping, this is become quite a headache. Besides, I want to see what I'm buying.

Is there a reason none of the box stores (Even tool stores) stock tools other than the little stuff?
$$$$ per sq ft turnover. They can sell several little tools in the space/time to sell one big one

It may also depend on your area. Some stores don't carry items that others do (for the reason above).
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Inventory is money sitting there, which could be spent elsewhere. Like transportation costs.
It's a wonder Sears is still in business.

Mark my words, it won't be in 2 years.

daddo said:

Is there a reason none of the box stores (Even tool stores) stock tools other than the little stuff?

Because individuals don't buy those tools.

On the other hand. I know 2 places that do sell such tools. Within 15 miles of my house. I am sure there a number of others, but I don't shop that much. And have never bought a drill press that size.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
The sears here carry their floor drill presses and most of their big tools. The closest sears is used for manager training... Tractor supply here also has some though I don't know what type etc as I rarely shop here.

The harborfreight drill presses are the same as everyone else's for the most part. I have had mine for 10 years and still like new. Abused quite a bit too. Lots of reaming the upper ball joint taper on spindles to fit Chrysler ball joints as well. Paid $150 at the time and it's over double that price now.

It's a surprise that any big depot store is still in business. If it wasn't for the tools and appliances sears would have been gone already. Macy's is closing stores Dillard's is closing stores so is penny's etc.
I just don't see enough people walking out with merchandise to pay the overhead. Course their profit margins are thousands of percent in some cases but still not enough imo. What makes it worse is many of them don't own the building they are in unlike our sears which owns the building. Commercial rent has gotten way out of hand here.

But I know your problem very well. I'm always having to order stuff online here in dfw because I can't get what I need locally. The brick and mortar s not carrying what you need is what's killing them not the internet. Online ordering has filled the gap of what the local stores won't sell.
You know this got me to thinking. If I had to buy all the tools in my shop again where in the world would I get them?? The tool store that I bought just about all my big tools went out of business and there is no place that I know of around me. At that time I was a huge Delta fan and most of my big toys are Delta. How do you buy large tools such as jointers, tablesaws, bandsaws and such from the internet??? That is an interesting question.
John T.
Another thought is that there is a new generation that isn't as interested in doing wood or metal work anymore. The economy dictates they eat instead of hobby? The iphone generation?

I've done just the opposite as the stores. I stock 3 times as many parts now. It saves time and gas going to and fro the parts house. But then parts have an infinite life and usage and don't go out of style each year.
I wish we had a Northern Tool nearby, but it seems all the stores are in the South. I remember that not so long ago, Lowes and HD had things like drill presses, but I guess the market for those is pretty small.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

You know this got me to thinking. If I had to buy all the tools in my shop again where in the world would I get them?? The tool store that I bought just about all my big tools went out of business and there is no place that I know of around me. At that time I was a huge Delta fan and most of my big toys are Delta. How do you buy large tools such as jointers, tablesaws, bandsaws and such from the internet??? That is an interesting question.

Grizzly.com or Amazon. You click on "Buy" Enter a bit of information and a few days or a week later is all shows up in a truck.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Splinter Puller said:

[blockquote]JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Grizzly.com or Amazon. You click on "Buy" Enter a bit of information and a few days or a week later is all shows up in a truck.

[/blockquote]

Not a Grizzly fan and besides you can not touch or compare first hand. Little differences mean a lot to me when picking out big tools. Then what do you do when repairs are needed. Nothing like having that display store near you and if you had one you would know what I mean. I get it.
John T.