Making Some Handles for Hand Saw Files
Have a lathe so I plan on turning some small handles for 4", 5", 6", and 7" hand saw files. The following site (Self Threading Insert ) mentions "a threaded, hardened insert which bites into the file tang just like a die stock." I could buy what is shown on the link, but prefer to make my own. I could merely drill an end hole and jam the saw file end into the hole to receive my triangular saw file tangs, but would like to try and embed a threaded insert (nut?) for a more secure fit if doable myself.

Tell me how you've done it or what style/type of threaded nut would work best for 'self threading' of hand saw file tangs for hand saw files from 4" up to 7".

Thanks.

Tom
I just drill a hole to fit, fill it with epoxy and jam the tail of the file into it. Mine have never come loose.
Understood ... but, I'd like to be able to just unscrew a file from the handle and put in a new/fresh file. Could likely break an epoxy glue bond by forcefully wiggling the file, but that'd be a bit of a pain.

Still looking for idea(s) for a self-threading nut/insert.

Tom
Don't some handles have an insert like what is in a wire nut? Could you make a tapered hole and glue one of those inserts in? Just an idea, I don't know if it would work.

Bob
Actually, it's better to use the old time cast iron saw file handles, they are hollow and have holes in them, which help you keep the align,net of your filing jig. Google "iron saw file handles" and you'll see what I mean. If you're going to turn them, put a flat on the handle, which will do the same thing. I can take a pic of mine later. These come up in the S&S from time to time, grab them if you can. I wouldn't be without mine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Since files are pretty darned hard, finding a threaded insert that is harder than the file tang is going to be a chore. Any "normal" threaded insert will not bite into the tang on the file. Using epoxy, IMO, makes the file handle expendable, since once you use up the file, you won't be able to remove it and replace it with another file without damaging your handle. Saw files are expendable.

I'm not sure about this, but I would guess the Skrooz-On file handle inserts are tapered, to better grip the file tang. A normal threaded insert won't be tapered.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I bought those cast iron handles on eBay for a number of years. I have quite a few and use them on the bigger files with regularity.

The problem with using a self threading insert, the tang on a file is pretty long. You might have to short them. Also, the tang isn't symmetrical, causing it to not thread evenly.

Here's one laying on my fleam angle guide
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
The tangs are not hardened. They will actually bend.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Lol, I've found and sold at least a dozen, I now regret not having kept more than one of them. The next 2 or 3 I find are keepers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hey WDCRVR, What if you stuck with your idea, but epoxied a nut in the top of the handle, under a ferrule, so you could add a thumbscrew which clamped down perpendicularly on the file tang? It would be a DIY file handle much like the metal ones suggested.