Travelling Tool Chest
I demonstrate in the blacksmith shop at the local state park on the weekends and have been carryingy tools in an old carpenters tool box. Since the time period is late 19th early 20th century, I decided to build a chest to carry my tools in. It may be a little premature posting it before I get it finished, but I hope to have it done pretty soon. The only wood working left is to glue the dust skirt around the bottom of the lid, fill a gap left by a really bad tenon, and finish.

I started making the hardware today and got the handles forged. They're made out of mild steel. This is the first pair that I've made, so I really hope they work out. I hope to get the hinges done next weekend.

The overall dimensions are 9x27 inches. I built it out of New Zealand "pine" from Menard's. It's definitely a much softer wood than I'm used to working with. I will update when I get more of it done.

Daniel S said:

Nice cat box - oh, I mean tool box.

Yes, a nice tool box indeed.
Cool! Can't wait to see the finished product all loaded up!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
that's a really nice toolbox. I inherited a similar box from my mom, not as nice though. I have often thought of updating it, but wonder about how hard it will be to carry. Are you thinking you will always have a helper? I would really like to see you update the post after you have experience using it.
I sized the box to be a little smaller than the one I'm currently carrying. I don't have a helper, so weigh is an issue. I plan out the tools I carry along based on what I'll be working on that day. I don't have to carry it too far, so it shouldn't be a problem. If it is too heavy, I had been thinking of doing a few smaller, stackable boxes. That way I could transport them on a two wheeled cart

The cat really likes to be between you and whatever you're trying to do. This time, he knew that I really wanted to put the lid on.

Thanks for the comments.
Daniel S said:

The cat really likes to be between you and whatever you're trying to do. This time, he knew that I really wanted to put the lid on.

Thanks for the comments.

Beautiful Chest! I like it!

Some things, like cats, do get between one and one's recent builds... like on this sassafras box I sent to my buddy (it was sent dry through the mail service)....

Chris
Daniel S said:

The overall dimensions are 9x27 inches. I built it out of New Zealand "pine" from Menard's. It's definitely a much softer wood than I'm used to working with. I will update when I get more of it done.

Soft wood indeed. And possibly a bit lumpy and grumpy when planed the wrong direction...

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Wow! Those are sturdy handles! Snipes, plus 4 screws/bolts.... They look good too. Can't wait to see the hinges...
Chris, I really like those mitered ends on your box. I may have to give that a try on something in the future.
Rob, the cat has a habit of being grumpy when things aren't going his way. I never thought he would like being on the bench as much as he does.
Bruce, I didn't know those were called snipes, thank you. I spent some time looking at chests in antique stores around the Lafayette area. A lot of them were in this style. Most of the handles that I saw on the web were either welded or riveted to the plate. I used 3/8" round bar and some 1 1/2" flat bar. I tapered the 3/8/down to around 1/4 on each end.
I just want to see it full of tools. Were there particular tools you were designing it to hold?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop