Dizzy bowl
Just sanded a dizzy bowl. Due to softwoods, hardwoods and end grain finished bowl feels very uneven. Any sugestions as what to do? Currently sand with a 2" disc in a drill.
Pics?
I never power sand as I prefer hand sanding for better control.

Start at a finer grit (e.g. 180-220) if you don't need to do any subtle shaping after the general turning.

In a large segmented vessel I turned I had varying densities of spalted maple so I took a narrow (2") board and put a sheet of sandpaper over it to limit the problem of oversanding. worked well enough.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I do not remember if this has happened but depending on the size of the bowl I use a 2" or 3" or as big as I can get in there and use as much of the paper I can get at level.

I know others will have something better for you later.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Feels uneven, as in softwood below grade of hardwood, face grain of hardwood below grade of endgrain? That's one of the things a supported sander and sanding while rotating the work will take care of. Haven't done segmented since my mandatory in school project, but it ought to work as it does for me, keeping me from dishing the white, delignified areas when I'm turning spalted wood. Minimum pressure, disk and work rotate, even surface produced.

Try the http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant...ing-bholdext-pl

Or the kit. I still have 4 of 60 and three of the 80 grit disks I got with mine 20 years ago. Almost too aggressive to contemplate using them.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
There are some wood combinations that sanding is going to cause this problem to some degree no matter what your try. On the outside you can use a full or half sheet of sandpaper, holding the top and bottom edges get the largest contact are you can with the lathe spinning. For insides power sanding with the lathe spinning will help also start with the highest grit possible. The best bet is to make ultra fine shearing cuts and avoid sanding altogether.
Thanks for all of the replies. I think that with the variety of grain direction and difference of hardness I am probably not going to be able to get the smooth feel I am used to.