Chinese woodcarving video
Here is a link to an interesting video from China. The subject is the revival of the woodcarving trade, and the students learning the traditional ways. It's too bad, but I'm certain that the language and the translation never really allow non Chinese speakers to know exactly what is being said. The work is excellent. It so happens that the instructors believe as I do regarding the importance of drawing skills. Despite the language barriers, that is easily discerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg3q5Ta3hlc
Amazing of what they can do, very good video.
That is really very nice,One thing what impressed me, is what they are using for a mallet.They are really talented and I wish I could do just a small part of what they do. Thank You for posting
It's nice to see there's a resurgence of high quality wood carving. A far cry some some of the carved furniture coming out of China and elsewhere these days. My VP's office has some "executive" furniture in his waiting area, with carved scrollwork and claw legs. The carving is horrible. It looks hastily done, and you can see flaws that were just stained over. The stuff in the video was really, really good. I hope it continues to succeed. I think the new found prosperity of many Chinese is fueling that revival.

One thing I found interesting is the mallets they used. Kind of like a modified hatchet. I wonder if those are traditional or relatively new style mallets.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Quite impressive. Amazing abilities.

I wonder how they select students for the classes.
Phydeaux
IMO you have to be an artist first and a woodcarver second when you want to do this kind of stuff. I would be considered in pre-school as a carver. I love this kind of art form.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I see they use the same techniques I do.

He doesn't make 100 bucks an hour, but he is worth it.