Side-hung drawers vs. Other styles?
Hi,
I am brainstorming a new small cabinet project. I would like to pay homage to Gerstner chests a little, and maybe to Japanese Tansu chests a little. I haven't seen a tansu personally, but I've liked reading about them and seeing videos on them.
Whenever I've built drawers before, I've made them side-hung. But I've seen other styles which afford the "piston fit" options, or the locking options like Derek is going to do on his lingerie chest.
I haven't read up comprehensively on drawers at all. I'm just looking for a few opinions on the pro's and con's of different methods.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Have you seen the Paul Sellers video's on building tool chest's and tool cabinets? He use's Dovetail's on the front and front sides and brings in the the end piece and use's mortice and tenon joinery on the end piece going thru the rear end piece. He also comes in about an 1" or so with the end piece and installs a little stop to keep drawer's from coming out.

Steve
Thanks, Steve,
I'll take a look at it! I'm teetering on the ruggedness of the styling, depending on whether a niece or a nephew is the intended recipient.
Chris
C. in Indy said:

Thanks, Steve,
I'll take a look at it! I'm teetering on the ruggedness of the styling, depending on whether a niece or a nephew is the intended recipient.

Is the recipient an adult? ...

Doesn't matter much since I would still suggest the easy "whole bin dragging on the bottom supports" method anyway. Hangers have an affinity to kink, jam, and break. If the fit is reasonably snug, butt sliders will last longer. Just match the species-densities that slide-support in weighted contact.

That said, I have always liked side-hung drawers. I think it is admiration of ultimate space efficiency as used in machine tools chests; not the actual masochism associated with doing the deed.
Weight a minute there Mr. It really will depend on frequency of use, and weight load to be used in the drawer, that also including weight of the drawer itself. Unfortunately I don't know of a sagulator to figure that out, it's a learn as you go kinda thing. I always opt to overdo it, and that way I don't have to remake anything.

These can go 10 to 15# each, and work well BTDT

This book has several tool boxes with side slide mounts, some with drawer slides, worth the price if small tool storage is your aim.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW