Any date known on the MF carving tools?
Below is a link to another forum. I am trying to yield a bit of assistance. I figured someone here would know.

Thanks

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/genera...et--t18019.html
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
It's possible that reviewing historical M-F catalogs would help. There are some here.

That's a tasty set, and astonishingly clean for something at least as old as the 1950s/60s.

I like the shape of those handles.
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, they are not mine. The owner has a nice set for sure.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I had a set of carving tools like those shown a few years ago...made in the late fifties, early sixties, I think...wish I had 'em back!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hi, I'm the new owner of the set of carving tools. I picked them up at a restore so I have no idea where they came from and of course I'm wondering about when they were made.

I did check and see the response about the catalogs. From looking at those I did find that the 1939 catalog has the location listed as Miller Falls MA. The 1949 catalog has the Greenfield MA location which matches my label.

Well that is something, and the lack of a zip code points to another more recent change that is not there. So for now it is looking like sometime after 1939 and before 1963.

As someone else posted and my best guess is the late 1950's or very early 1960's.

Thanks everyone of your posts. If I ever do find a better date I'll let you know. They have been here with me in the computer room as I enjoy just looking at them. Today they go to the shop, next phase is to sharpen a couple of them and see if they work as good as they look.

Ed