Picked up my first Swan chisels today
I picked up my first swan chisels today - nice length - 3/4 and 1 1/4.

But a PO really mistreated these chisels.

I'd like to choke the person who did this!

Too nice to trash - I'll ream them out, file the outside edges, trim the socket edge, and make new handles. A good sharpening and these two will have a happy home.

r2
I have a set of Swan chisels and i believe they are made of the finest steel of any chisels i've ever used.

Clean them up and i'm sure you will love them.
Yikes I hate to see those biggered up edges, but I know when you get done they will look great. I have a couple Swan chisels also and they are very nice.

Steve
Definitely give them a chance to perform after you get them back into useable condition, Richard. According to the man who wrote the book on chisels, Ol' Jim Bassett, they are in the top tier in his testing of vintage chisels and the metals they are made of.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com