Newbie learning
So, I started turning more in earnest these days. (I got laid off from work, and am hoping to sell bowls that I make).

I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN

The photo below, is wet cherry, that I started to gouge out a bowl. (ordered a bowl gouge and should arrive soon). It was a log about 8 inches in diameter. The diameter below is 7".

After a few days resting on the shelf, the cracks (checking) are there. That surprised me. I guess I really don't know as much about shrinkage as I thought.

Is turning a log's center some big NO NO ?

=144954400&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]Cherry Trunk
Turning that thick certainly is. Also not a good idea to turn completely vertical walls in either orientation. Somewhere a bit south of 3/8" thickness is a better survival choice. I also elevate on stickers so the bottom doesn't stay wet on one side and dry the other. Improves survivability.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Sorry about the layoff.

A full log blank will crack radially. This is a pretty good guide to prepping a blank from a log. Here is the key picture:

Notice he is removing the pith from the log to make two planks.

Personally, I find that pens, christmas ornaments and vases sell better than bowls. Your mileage may vary.
It seems you can turn a piece containing the pith, but you need to follow some 'best practices', e.g.

http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/Joh..._Wood.html

I particularly like this visual essay:
https://www.syzygywoodworks.com/2013/07/...h-to-pith/

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.

Have fun learning how to make "things" is my best advise.

One of the things I quickly figured out was about the only people that make a living at this are those that sell things to other turners.

One of the pro's (both gallerys and "stuff for turners") I know told a bunch of us a joke..

Do you know the difference between a professional turner and a large Pizza? A large Pizza will feed a family of four.

One of the "old-time" turners I know (40+ years) also says "Don't quit your day job".

If you really want to go for it though, do. There are people that have made a reasonable income as production turners. It's not easy, but it can be done.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
MKepke said:

It seems you can turn a piece containing the pith, but you need to follow some 'best practices', e.g.

http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/Joh..._Wood.html

I particularly like this visual essay:
https://www.syzygywoodworks.com/2013/07/...h-to-pith/

-Mark

Thank you VERY much for the excellent information.
I would hate it if I was layed off and I am proud of you trying to make yourself better instead of sitting around.

There are a lot of DVDs and YouTube's out there and a lot of guys here with a lot of experience with wet wood. (I do not turn wet wood)

If there is anything I can do to help you please let me know.

I will send you some black walnut if that would help too.

Some things for quick sales are Slimline pens which you can buy for $2 and sell for $20.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks much guys for the supportive sentiments and suggestions and Arlen for the offer of wood and help. At this time, I don't have a need for the walnut, however, thank you for the generous offer.

Perhaps in the future I'll make pens, I don't know. I already have all the burners cooking and I need to stay focused. I have 5 orders for yarn bowls at $80 each. Unfortunately, I don't have any dry tree trunks to make them out of, so I need to glue up something to make them, which shouldn't be any trouble.

I'm looking forward to the bowl gouge that I ordered on-line and learning to use it. Hopefully, that goes well. (the learning curve, I mean)

I've been busy lately acquiring tree trunks that a couple of people have offered. The shop is now being used as a tree trunk hangout.
When you can no longer get up the driveway because of all the logs, you are a wood turner....

robo hippy
robo hippy said:

When you can no longer get up the driveway because of all the logs, you are a wood turner....

robo hippy

Then there is no doubt about it, I am a newbie woodturner.