Recessed Lighting Plan
Don't want to add any more confusion to my other post...so I thought I would start a new one.

Quick back story...I am in the process of renovating my living room and dining room and am trying to finalize a lighting plan.

For usage....there is an 8 person dining table in the dining room with plans for a sideboard. The living room is mostly empty...however we have a very large extended family. When large family events occur, I bring in two extra 8 foot tables and end up with one massive table spanning both rooms. But once those events pass...the living room is back to a hutch, and plans for two chairs and a small table in the front.

Current:

Currently...the four 6" cans in the dining room put out too much light and are focused over where the table will be. First proposal is to remove two of the 6" cans and then mirror the "two cans, two wall sconces" in the living room:

Three things I should mention:
- I am sanding down an old textured/stippled ceiling in both rooms...which will require a skim coat of mud as well...so patching drywall won't add too much pain.
- I am planning on installing box in the center of both rooms. This won't be used right away...but gives us the option of installing a visible light fixture down the road without disrupting the ceiling again.
- There is a bedroom and bathroom above this floor, so I have no attic access. The ceiling joists run North/South in these images.

Second proposal:

This is the most involved. Reduce down to 4" cans and increase their spacing. To JTTHECLOCKMAN's point in my other thread, I will also do some research to find LEDs that can dim to zero...or just stick with regular bulbs so I'm not stuck right back where I am today with 4 lights, that while dimmed all the way down...still put out too much light to create any form of "mood lighting"

Any input/criticism is appreciated...I know that the second option is more painful, but feels like it's the more "right" approach. I'd rather something take longer...and only do it once...versus going the easy route and being disappointed in the long run.

Thank you all for taking a look and making a suggestion.
Kevin
Put in track lights & call it a day. You can move the heads whenever & wherever you need to a day ahead of time.
Herb G said:

Put in track lights & call it a day. You can move the heads whenever & wherever you need to a day ahead of time.

Track lighting is not an option....it is loathed in the household.
We are pondering similar things. Have track now, and thought we'd replace with track but could not find any we liked. Recessed is our next choice, but we are also hung up on layout.

Maybe I'll start my own thread if I get the room sketched out...
JosephP said:

We are pondering similar things. Have track now, and thought we'd replace with track but could not find any we liked. Recessed is our next choice, but we are also hung up on layout.

Maybe I'll start my own thread if I get the room sketched out...

Easy to get hung up on...it's a decent amount of work, so you want to make sure you get it right the first time
Your second option looks more uniform and more intelligently layed out. But with that said you have to ask your self and your wife what is it you are actually looking for??? The use of cans is a general room lighting and the way you have them layed out that is what you are showing. It lights the room up evenly. Now if you are looking for mood lighting especially over a table you will not get the same effect as say a chandelier. But putting in chandeliers limits where you place the table. Yes you can use those hooks that will support the light with a swag of the chain or cable. Some people do not like that look.

As far as track lighting goes there are a ton of fixtures including chandeliers that work off the system and are easy to install and move around for future design plans.

Now you can use the second plan and that center box use a chandelier. Whatever you do run at least a 3 wire cable between all fixtures and to the center box. 2 switches so that both rooms can be controlled. Have a plan. That job went from a simple ??? on a flex bit to a wide open room renovation. Good luck. Good luck with that stipling too. You will need it. Maybe a 1/4" layer of new rock might be a better answer. Just saying.
John T.
That's exactly what I am looking for. Overall uniform light that I can control the brightness of from off to bright. Being honest...I have no doubt that 2 months after this renovation is complete, my wife will find a fixture that she likes and I'll be installing a chandelier/fixture in the center of the room. I'll make sure she has a glance at the track options.

This project started as a whole room renovation. I thought I'd had my mind made up about the location of the lighting and was originally just asking about a good flex bit. Your comments (and others) got me to think about it more and start drawing out some options. As for the stipling....yeah...thought about 1/4" of gypsum....but I have this stipling all over the dang house...in areas that it would be rather difficult to hang more material. I sanded about 1/3 of the dining room off last night in about 1.5 hours. Arms are a little sore...but overall...it wasn't that horrible. Ask me again next week how I feel about it
Your proposal with a can in each corner of the room with a box/chandelier in the center is exactly how my dining room is set up and we really like it. Originally all we had was the chandelier and while that was sufficient for eating it always seemed dark behind you and while using the table for playing cards, crafts or a workbench there was just not enough light. With the recessed lighting in each corner the lighting is just about perfect.
I had a great lighting plan for my new laundry room. My plan and where the lights went are two completly different things. Between the tight quarters near the roof edge and the position of the rafters, I put them where I was able to.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

your second plan looks best, I'd recommend putting fan rated boxes in the center which may or may not require reframe/patching to center it up nicely. you could probably do cut in can lights in the corners and id recommend these dimmable led can lights http://m.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Elec.../206950542 or something similar. but just make sure your dimmer and light you pick out are compatible. I see far too often incompatible dimmer/light combo which leads to flickering or other weird effects. I like the 2700k for a bit of warmer light but if you're more modern maybe you want like 3100k. best of luck with your decision.