Fertilizer spreader recommendation needed.
I need a fertilizer spreader so I went to the hardware store and the ones they have are flimsy all plastic junk. Then I went to Amazon to read the reviews and they all seemed to confirm my impression of plastic junk that breaks after one or two uses. I don't need anything too big, my entire lot is only 40' x140'.

Thanks for any help.
John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Get one that matches the brand of fert. you're using.
I have a Scott's that's 20+ years old & still going strong.
And the bucket is made of plastic, the handle is steel.
Earthway. Plastic but seems to hold up real well.
The reviews I've read all seem to say the same thing, that they had a Scott's for a long time but the metal parts rusted out so they bought a new Scott's version. New ones are all plastic and seem to break after one or two uses. Apparently they were made much better back in the day.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
When I had a yard that was not much bigger than that, I had a Scott's Speedy Green 1000. Yes, it had plastic parts, but it worked well for 11 years. I used it five times per year. Never had an issue with any breakage.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Had the HD Scott's edge guard for three years now. No complaints. Even have the one with the wheels that are just thin plastic and open on the inside.
Go to a landscaping supply store. Those that do it for a living can't afford to buy crap.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

John Clifford said:

I need a fertilizer spreader so I went to the hardware store and the ones they have are flimsy all plastic junk. Then I went to Amazon to read the reviews and they all seemed to confirm my impression of plastic junk that breaks after one or two uses. I don't need anything too big, my entire lot is only 40' x140'.

It needs to be plastic. Fertilizer does a number on metal.

Thanks for any help.
John

1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
My lawn is about the same size as yours. I use a Scott's edge guard model. My first Scott's last about 7 years but the metal gearing bits rusted out on me. I keep this newer one indoors now and I think the most important thing to do is to rinse off the spreader if a lot of fertilizer has stuck to it because the grass is damp.
I'd use a hand spreader.... However, if you ever get up to mid-MI, I have an old all metal walk behind spreader that is in perfect condition, you can have it. It was $10 at a garage sale, I couldn't pass it up.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15