Salad Bowl for $750?
You betcha! I was looking into maybe taking a class offered by Mike Mahoney. The class sponsor says he's famous for production turning of "utility wares, nested bowls and hollow forms". And some of his work is phenomenal. So I link to Mahoney's website. I guess when you're really good, you can demand some pretty good prices. A black ash salad bowl 15" x 7.5" is going for $750. Not sure I'd want to treat that bowl as a "utility" bowl, but it's good to know I can aspire to greater things as a turner.

Linky to bowl for sale:

Mahoney Pioneer Bowl
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
"Mike Mahoney has been a professional wood turner since 1994. His bowls are featured in galleries across the United States. Mike's work is sought after by collectors all over the world."

Since he set up his own web page, me thinks he's a little full of himself.
Anyone who speaks about themselves in the 3rd person is definitely full of themselves.
The guy knows what he's doing. I would love to take a class with him. It's a nice bowl but my budget is a bit tighter.

Doug
Malcolm Tibbett's work is phenomenal. Mahoney's work is pedestrian in comparison. He does nice work, but nothing I haven't seen any decent amateur be able to perform.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
SteveS said:

Malcolm Tibbett's work is phenomenal. Mahoney's work is pedestrian in comparison. He does nice work, but nothing I haven't seen any decent amateur be able to perform.

Apples and oranges. Malcolm's work is amazing but then so is MM getting 8 or 10 nested bowls from a single blank.
Steve K

Herb G said:

"Mike Mahoney has been a professional wood turner since 1994. His bowls are featured in galleries across the United States. Mike's work is sought after by collectors all over the world."

Since he set up his own web page, me thinks he's a little full of himself.
Anyone who speaks about themselves in the 3rd person is definitely full of themselves.

Actually this is the proper way a professional website should read.
Steve K said:

[blockquote]SteveS said:

Apples and oranges. Malcolm's work is amazing but then so is MM getting 8 or 10 nested bowls from a single blank.

[/blockquote]

Agreed.

Is $750 high probably but then it always amazes me when threads come up feeling someone asks too much for an item. If you can find the market for those kind of prices more power to you

I have a turning given to me by a "top named" turner that he sells comparable pieces for upwards of $2000

The bowl in the link I am surprised at such a high price though
I have chatted with him a number of times, seen him turn and demo a number of times, and if you really look at his forms, they are exceptional. He is way more artistic than I am, and I will have to die before my work may ever get that much for a piece. He is a master. Comparing his work to Malcolm Tibbits is like comparing brownies to apple pie (I have a sweet tooth), both are excellent. I do remember watching him turn a platter at the AAW Symposium in Portland. On the inside, he put a detail lip or bead type thing, and as he was commenting that the detail would 'draw your eye down the inside of the bowl' I was thinking 'you had a nice smooth even curve, and then you went and put a speed bump on it'...

robo hippy
To me he earned his keep. He worked his way up the hard way and am glad he can get the money he asks for.

I know I will never get where he is at but if I did I would have earned it too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just for the record, I'm not saying MM doesn't deserve what he's asking for his work. His price points reflect both the quality of his work and his reputation. I was just surprised that a relatively plain salad bowl went for that much. I'll never make a living turning, so I have no idea what kinds of prices turners demand. A local guy does a lot of hollow forms. They are top notch work. I was kind of surprised he was asking $200-400 for some of his stuff at a local craft fair. That seemed a lot to me at the time. Now that I'm more cognizant of the time and effort it takes to make a really nice piece, I don't think his prices were all that outrageous. MM has a national reputation. The local guy I'd never heard of.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill