Dovetail saw value
I'll admit I have a problem when it comes to dovetail saws. I have WAY too many but I just can't help myself. I'm considering selling a few that I either don't use or ended up with multiples of. I just need to make space for the new saws I keep getting. One that I am having a really hard time deciding on a price for is a Medallion Tool Works 10" dovetails saw. The saw is in great shape and still cuts like new. I bought it when Ed first started making saws so I have no idea what the saws retail was when he stopped making saws. There is also the fact that you can no longer buy one that throws another kink in it. I have tried searching for some of these that have sold but they very rarely ever come up for sale. Anyone out there have a clue what kind of value the saw may have?
The value is what someone will pay you for it. That doesn't answer your question directly, but putting it in the S&S here will quickly determine what it's real value is. I remember Ed making saws but that was a long time and many saw makers ago. Most people here may not be aware of him as a maker. Post good photos.
I pulled this off the Village Carpenter blog, they look pretty nice. Prices for saws have gone up since 2011, when he stopped production, so I'd figure 10-20% off of what you paid for it back then. Somehow I don't think its really a collector's item, but an excellent user for someone. Other than that, I got nothin'

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hi Dave

two, three loose thoughts:

I'm not sure ift the saws of the 21st century boutique maker are or will become collectable. The vollumes are so low.
The value for collectors depends on the story and the condition. Pictures will help. (Allways)

Value if you sell to a user? Price of LV or LN + x$ for the bigger beauty.

What about offering it to Ed? If things have run bad, he didn't kept one for his son or grandson.

I know that wasn't very helpful, but now go to your shop and take some pictures. It is too long that I've seen one of Ed's saws!

Cheers
Pedder
Thats Ed from Oakville Canada right?

I have 3 of his saws...didn't know he stopped making them.

I think I paid about 80 or a hundred for the dovetail
For The Love Of Wood
That's the same guy but his price went WAY up after you bought your saw. I think wen he quit making saws his prices were between way a Bad Axe saw and what one of Andrew Lunds saws cost. When I bought mine they were around $200.
Were all his saws ( dovetail ) basically Kenyon(ish)? Other than the Regan, that's the only one I've seen. Always curious how mine stack up?
BontzSawWorks.net
Dave Diaman said:

That's the same guy but his price went WAY up after you bought your saw. I think wen he quit making saws his prices were between way a Bad Axe saw and what one of Andrew Lunds saws cost. When I bought mine they were around $200.

My recollection was that Ed took over from Andrew, both in regard to a product line/aesthetic that was similar to Andrew's and along the same price range. Prior to this, his saws were solid stuff but pedestrian looking - essentially good value for money. I think that he priced himself out of the market when he increased in line with Andrew (although my personal view was that these prices were realistic, and those of others were unrealistically cheap).

In other words, there are two Eds: the before and the after. From which group is the dovetail saw to be sold?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com