New Bowl Gouge arrived today !
... and this is the first time in my life, that I have held a bowl gouge too....

Wish me luck !
congrats, make sure you sharpen it before using it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
MidwestMan said:

... and this is the first time in my life, that I have held a bowl gouge too....

Wish me luck !

Start here. http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml Lots of people grind them lots of ways. Don't do any modification of the tool before you've tried it every way you perceive as safe to see where what is could be improved. just hone it. My favorite entry is the last in line.

If you're doing end-grain hollowing, not really the proper tool. Rings, hooks, or pointy gouge grinds better choices.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
chips ahoy said:

Mel

I purchased it from Douglas Thompson, and he sends out the gouge already sharpened.

I won't be able to try out the tool, until later tonight.
MidwestMan said:

[blockquote]chips ahoy said:

Mel

I purchased it from Douglas Thompson, and he sends out the gouge already sharpened.

[/blockquote]

Good info at the link you sent. Interesting. Thank you.
Congrats, have fun!
MidwestMan said:

Mel

[/blockquote]

That's great, just wanted to make sure you were starting with a sharp tool. Good luck.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
MidwestMan said:

Mel

[/blockquote]

Sharpen it anyway. You're gonna sharpen it a few times when using it
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

I am really happy. Although I never used a bowl gouge before, it went really well last night/morning.

I have watched many, many youtube video's on "how to use a bowl gouge" and it paid off.

After initial fears and concerns were hurdled (10 minutes) and gained confidence experiencing the tool 2 or 3 hours, I can see this is going to be my main go-to tool for the lathe.

What a delight this tool is.