Experience Spraying BM Satin Impervo or Advance?
I'm looking to build a vanity that I'd like to spray and panel the room that I'd like brush/roll with the same paint. BM Satin Impervo or Advance could fit the bill if I can spray it with my air assisted (5 psi) HVLP gun. But the viscosity of both products is very high at around 95 KU compared to the highest viscosity I've sprayed so far with this gun (100 seconds Ford #4 cup).

Has anyone sprayed either of these products? If so, what gun type were you using? I know I can thin them somewhat, but it's always better if you don't have to.

Thanks,

John
John,
I just sprayed some BM Advance but I was using an HVLP conversion gun with a .02 tip. I did thin a little but not much. The finish is fantastic. The dry time is what kills me. It takes at least 16 hours before you can sand the finish. Next time I'm going back to tinted lacquer. ML Campbell will tint almost any of their products. All you have to do is give them a manufacturer and color number to match.
Thanks Dave. A 0.02" tip suggests you were using an airless unit. An HVLP gun would more likely be 2.0 mm (0.08"). Did you make a typo or did I just plain misunderstand?

I would rather use a lacquer type product, too, but I'm looking for one product that can be both sprayed (by me) and brushed/rolled (by the home owner). The BM Advance looks like a good choice from that point of view if I can spray it.

John
It was a typo John. It is a 2mm tip in the gun. It has been a LONGGG week. I use one of the 3M HVLP guns with the disposable tips and PPS cups to spray latex. I hate stinking up my good guns with paint. You do have to pull the mesh screen out of the PPS cups but after that it works great. I have been told it brushes and rolls really well too. I will say it flows out as well as any high quality lacquer finish I have used and leave a fantastic finish. You just have to factor in the wait time between coats. If you don’t have to sand between coats you can recoat in 4 hours I believe. I ended up only sanding the finish before the final coat. Normally I would top coat any paint finish with a water clear lacquer but I don’t think it is necessary with this product. All and all it seems like a really good finish. You just have to plan for the dry times. One other thing I forgot to mention. BM sells a primer sealer to use with the Advance. I didn’t buy their product and just used dewaxed shellac because it can be applied so quickly and I was already sealing other items with it. I basically always have a gun full of shellac setting in my spray area. I would say it has probably been at least a year since I have cleaned that gun because it is always in use. I applied two good coats of shellac and sanded everything really smooth before I started spraying the Advance. Using one of their primers tinted to match the finish would probably result in better coverage with fewer coats but at $53 a gallon when I already had shellac ready to go I didn’t feel compelled to buy it.

BTW here is the gun I used for the paint. It is great for spraying thick finishes especially if they are messy like paint.
Thanks for the detailed follow-up, Dave. Now it makes sense. That gun is an air assisted HVLP; I looked at buying one before I bought the Qualspray AM-6008 (?) with 3M PPS cup. I think the largest N/N I have right now is 1.5 or 1.7 mm, but I can buy a 2.0, even a 2.5.

I'm not concerned about drying time, although I'm as impatient as the next person. As long as it flows out well I'll be happy. Having one product that both sprays and brushes will really simplify getting the job done.

I typically use BIN pigmented shellac primer underneath paint. Works great; all the benefits of shellac plus it's opaque. The viscosity is really low, too.

John
I've never tried the BIN primer simply because spray paint so rarely. I'll have to give it a try when I spray paint again.