Primer for wainscoting
I have built wainscoting for the dining room--poplar, raised panels, with a chair rail above. I just bought the little fine finish Finish Max sprayer at Rockler. I want to spray the primer on to the assembled units out on the driveway against a wall (covered with plastic), then install the wainscoting, finally paint it with a brush using a water-based enamel that matches the rest of the room. Does anyone have a recommendation for a water-based primer that is compatible with this sprayer? I suspect that it will need to be thinned.
Al (doc1)
NO, use shellac. It sprays beautifully and is compatible with pretty much any finish. The exception is NC lacquer which is a obsolete, though common, finish.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I use BIN White Shellac primer under painted projects. The viscosity is surprisingly low and sprays with typical gravity feed spray guns. I looked at the manual for your gun and the recommended viscosity range matches the BIN product w/o thinning. The viscosity cup with your gun looks just like a Ford #4, so I'm using that as the basis.

The BIN white shellac primer sprays great and you can sand it smooth. It gives you a nice opaque surface so you need fewer coats of paint on top. Also, the shellac seals in any resins from knots, etc. so it won't bleed through later.

I would not use WB primers. They will raise the grain and require a lot more work to get a smooth surface for painting. The BIN shellac primer cleans up easily with ammonia in water and/or DNA.

John
Thanks JR1 and John. Exactly the advice I needed.
Al (doc1)
John, do you recall what the viscosity is for the BIN?
Hey Bill. I think it was right around 30 seconds. Surprised me that it was that low considering all the pigment in it. It sprayed great with my pressure assisted HVLP gun with a 1.0 mm N/N. I think with a gravity feed HVLP gun you could spray it with a 1.4 or 1.5 mm N/N.

John