Leaning/sagging Kitchen Cabinets
We recently purchased a 1970's house that wasn't updated much at all since it was built. The cabinets are all solid wood and in fairly good shape. However, the run over the sink has separated over an inch from the wall at the top and I would like to try and fix this before we move in. The cabinets in question are still very sturdy and firmly in place. They do not seem to have fallen down, they just are no longer against the wall. The house has had foundation repairs recently, but this did not remedy the problem.

I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve taking them down if possible. The kitchen is U shaped and I was wondering if I could apply pressure between the cabinets (there is a section that should be structural) and wedge them back in place. Any Ideas or comments on how this is a terrible idea appreciated. Replacing the cabinets is not an option due to budget. We're keeping out harvest gold appliances for awhile for the same reason.

View looking at the run of cabinets from dining room.

View from sink area

I had some similar issues, including the foundation repair.
For the cabinets I put a stringer across he top and fastened it in using holes i made with a Kreg jig. I was able to do it on the top part of the cabinet that was hidden but it looks like you can do it on the interior of the cabinet.
It looks like the ledger board they used is still attached to the wall but the nails are pulling out. If you could get the kreg jig in there you could screw right into the ledger.
carwashguy said:

I had some similar issues, including the foundation repair.
For the cabinets I put a stringer across he top and fastened it in using holes i made with a Kreg jig. I was able to do it on the top part of the cabinet that was hidden but it looks like you can do it on the interior of the cabinet.
It looks like the ledger board they used is still attached to the wall but the nails are pulling out. If you could get the kreg jig in there you could screw right into the ledger.

Or if you can't use the Kreg jig, screw a block to the inside of the cabinet face, then screw through the block to pull it tight to the ledger. I'd probably drive some screws through the ledger at the studs to backup those nails, too.
2x4 Across the top of the cabinets held in place (horizontally) with clamps. 2x4 against opposite wall. 2-3 2x4s then placed between them and cut to be ~1.5" longer than the gap between them. Then tap the ends of the 2x4s so they push the cabinet back in place.

Once can lift whole buildings with angled boards and it can also be used to apply the force of Thor to an area and do it slowly and controlled so no damaged is inflicted.
Metal angle on the insides screwed into the wall studs and cabinet if possible would hold it well.

I thought 70's was "Avocado" color?
There seems to be a stained sort of "ledger board" at the rear of the top of the cabinet. And that seems to be attached with nails.

I would probably put some woodworking glue at the juncture of the ledger board and the side panels of the cabinets and then pound it back into contact. The glue will be much stronger than the nails if you can get good contact.

You can also attach a short length of 5/4 x 5/4 stock at that juncture and screw and glue to both surfaces. Stain it dark to match. I think I would use that glue block regardless of whatever other steps you take.

I have a platform bed that has hidden fasteners to join the footboard to the sideboards and those fasteners were not holding. I put in glue blocks using screws and yellow glue in the interior corners and it has held tight for the last 15 years. (I kind of wish it had fallen apart so I would have an excuse to replace it--but it steadfastly remains solid so now I will re-finish it.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Push the cabinets back tight to the ledger board with bracing from the opposite wall, as decribed above. Then screw the ledger board to the studs. I know it's not loose, but nails just don't hack it. Fabricate some blocks about 1-1/2" square and as long as the ledger board and screw them to both the cabinet sides and ledger board.

John
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like I was on the right track for once. Will report back on success or a post on fixing cabinets.
I'm going to be contrary and suggest pulling the entire run down and do a proper repair.

Remove nailer and fasteners, either relocate fasteners or plug and replace fasteners as necessary to effect a good repair.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I don't have the expertise to give you any advice, but wanted to say that a section of my kitchen cabinets are sagging exactly like that. House and cabinets are about 30 years old. Just waiting for them to come crashing down one day.

I also discovered that the cabinets weren't even close to square anymore. Looking further, I also saw that the cabinet was taking the sheetrock with it. I cobbled together a stop gap solution that has held for at least 5 years.

On mine, the top was slightly recessed - maybe 3/4", which gave me some space to fit a wooden frame that can't be seen without climbing on a ladder. Then, I used turnbuckles and wire to make the frame square and locked it into place with corner blocks. I then attached the frame to the studs with big long lag bolts. On the inside, I attached a 1 x 4 to the back - near the top - and sunk lag bolts through the 1 x 4 to help keep it aloft.

Even with the turnbuckles and lag bolts, the cabinet still hangs away from the wall like yours, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. Oh, we also re-arranged our dishes to keep lighter stuff in the sagging cabinets.

That was at least 5 years ago - maybe more - and I'm still waiting for the cabinets to come down.

I thought about taking it down, but don't think there's any way to salvage it. Not ready to replace a whole kitchen full of cabinets yet.

Good luck,

Steve