Installing a natural gas grill
I want to get a natural gas grill but need a quick connect installed. I have a plumber coming out tomorrow to give me a quote. Nearly every install I've seen on YouTube or online have the meter on the other side of the house and they run black pipe through the house and terminate with a quick connect.

Well, my meter is right next to the area where the grill will be so I assume the install should be much easier (and cheaper) assuming I have enough capacity. Here's my meter. Would they just remove that plug and add the appropriate threaded fitting reduced down to the quick connect or is that oversimplifying it?

Thanks,
Paul
I'd guess they could but it would probably be a Tee with your quick connect coming off the side and a plug similar to what you see on the new end.

I'd get a detailed quote from the plumber and then if the price is too high do it myself following the way he quoted. Pipe dope, leak test, possible relite of any interior appliances.... easy peasy. It's not like installing a garage door spring or anything.
WoodNET... the new safespace
That is a strange looking meter. Where is the main shut off on that meter??? I am going to assume that big gooseneck bend is the feed coming out of the ground and the shut off is in that pipe somewhere. Never seen that.
John T.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

That is a strange looking meter. Where is the main shut off on that meter??? I am going to assume that big gooseneck bend is the feed coming out of the ground and the shut off is in that pipe somewhere. Never seen that.

Yes, the feed comes up to the gooseneck and the shutoff is on the riser. If you do a Google image search for "gas meter", you do see a few of these goosenecks to the meter, not just ones with elbow joints.

Anyway, the plumber flaked. Their office never had a record of me making the appointment for today.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Yeah different style than I'm used to. I see the pressure regulator which means the main is a "high pressure" main.

That's an easy add on like already mentioned. Remember gas pressure from the meter on is only around half a pound of pressure.
Utilities sometimes do funky things for strange reasons. That plug in tee looks like theirs. You might be able to add a reducing branch tee and move that plug to the end of the new tee. You might be able to just replace the plug. Someone with local knowledge will need to advise you.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.