Basic Engraving Class for woodworkers
Basic Engraving Class with Mike Dubber

So, I'll bet most of you have never heard of the Marc Adams School of Woodworking. Well, it's just the "Largest Woodworking School in America" and there is still an opening for one student in my upcoming Hand Engraving Class, scheduled for May 9 -13, 2016.

Marc Adams contacted me two years ago about adding a special class to his schedule. He was interested in offering a class that was different, one that might add interest to the school curriculum. After some discussion we agreed to offer a class in Hammer and Chisel Engraving for the Woodworker. Our objective was to help folks learn the basics of engraving brass furniture hardware, woodworking tools and such, although the skills learned will apply to engraving any metal. We had 13 students and the class was a great success. The same class is offered for May 9-13 this year.

The MASW (Marc Adams School of Woodworking) is located about 12 miles south of Indianapolis, Indiana and it has an international staff of instructors. The school has over 20,000 square feet of woodworking classrooms offering study in every aspect of the craft.

This is a great opportunity for students to gain basic knowledge about hand engraving, no matter what the ultimate engraving objective might be. We step back a bit in time and study with Hammer and Chisel - the basic tools of the engravers historical art. The class routine is fun, and there is time to enjoy enjoy and learn engraving while working your fellow engravers. Better yet, the MASW cafeteria personnel prepares delicious lunches every day, and lunch is part of the class fee!

Check out the MASW web site at www.marcadams.com to learn more about the school and the May engraving class.
I WISH!!!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I won't be able to take the class, but I do have a question.
How significant is the practice of moving the workpiece versus moving the tool. In much engraved work I notice that the workpiece is moved while the tool remains relatively stationary. Would you describe this as essential; a must? Or would you describe this as a generally good method with other methods also having their place?
Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
Bibliophile 13 said:

I WISH!!!

+2500 (mileage to get there.)
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Movement depends on method- if you are using hammer and chisel, both hands are full, so the material is either stationary or is moved by foot (think working clay) or you walk around the piece. In air assist, one hand holds the graver and the work is turned with the other hand. Basically, whatever it takes!
Bibliophile 13 said:

I WISH!!!

+1
Peter

My "day job"
http://www.marcadams.com/available-class...mp;back=classes

http://www.marcadams.com/available-class...ck=classes
Congrats on the new job and teaching others your wonderful skills.

I could never afford a school like that nor paying for hotels and food.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.