Stanley 29 Transitional question
I have a virtually "like new" 29. but I can't seem to move the bolt/screw that holds the blade/lever cap in place. Is this a wood screw or a bolt that meshes with a threaded metal insert?

Any suggestions?

Thanks " />
Heat it up with a soldering iron down near where it enters the fitting. No need to get real hot (not hot enough to to burn the wood) but a bit hot to touch. That usually works for me when it comes to metal fitting and wood.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I am sure some of you folks are scratching your head and wondering what the heck I am talking about. I removed the frog and it is clear that it is a bolt and that it threads into the frog only.

I was able to finally remove the bolt, but it will not go in any deeper than it was originally- not enough to snug up the level cap.

The threads on the bolt look good and it does go back in easily up to a point- then it binds. I guess that the threads in the frog could be corroded near the bottom, but this plane has no rust anywhere.

I will soak the frog in citric acid for a while and see whats happens.
On many transitionals, there is a little recess cut into the wood under the frog, to allow for clearance for the lever cap screw -- check to see that the frog is tapped deeply enough