How to determine finish coverage?
I'm building 2 large cabinets. 80" x 48" wide x 28" deep. They each have 5 shelves and 2 doors. I plan on spray finishing with 3-4 coats of varnish. How much finish do I need? I think a gallon at the most, but maybe half gallon.

What say you? Do I need more?

Eddie
It depends on the exact finish. The converge should be on the can and the data sheet in sq ft. All you need to do is figure how many sides you are going to finish. For instance one back would be 27 sqft for one coat on one side. Your skill and application method will have a major impact.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Figure out how many square feet you have to cover and divide that by whatever the transfer efficiency is of your spray gun, which is probably no more than 65% and could be less. Divide that number by how many square feet a gallon of finish will cover - it will tell you on the can. That figure is how many gallon it takes per coat. Multiply that by how many coats and that's how many gallons you'll need for the project.

Just guessing, I'd say you will need at least 3 quarts.

John
You'd better pick up at least three gallons.