PC 698 router table
I was gifted a PC 698 router table sans router. I am a hobbyist and don't do a lot of router table work.

First of all, how useful is this table and are their major draw backs.

What routers will work on this? Preferably something not that expensive. I probably will only do light to medium work with it.

Adjusting the bit height. Fixed or plunge base? How difficult will it be to adjust height?

Any other pearls of wisdom from the router folks??

Thanks, Tom
Tom,

It's OK. Have a look at the reviews of this on Amazon. Besides, what options are you considering?

Most routers will mount on this table but if you will buy a router consider the PC 690, an older, basic, well regarded router. It has reasonable power but it's single speed.

Generally you'll want a fixed base router under a router table. I believe there are exceptions.

Router table setups are a very open-ended subject. Your table and the PC 690 or equivalent are toward the lower end but IMO very useful. You could easily spend well over $1000 for a higher-end setup with cast iron table, router lift, variable speed router, etc.

I have been very productive for 20 years with a shop-modified low end aluminum and steel table, and variable speed router with no bells and whistles. I learned as I went along.

If you have limited experience with table mounted routers, this might be a reasonable place to start. BTW I consider a router to be the most dangerous tool in my shop. If you are new to this, I highly recommend Gary Rogowsdki's book Router Joinery and DVD on the subject. Also, you will see what he uses for a router table. He uses a board with a hole in it, clamped to a bench

Doug
I've always used a fixed base router in my home built table. This Sears one is a bargain at $51 if you only need a 1/4" collet and fixed speed. You can buy a 1/2" collet for it for another $15 - $20. Or you could get this variable speed one for $80. Still only comes with a 1/4" collet though, but it does have a pretty good dust collection attachment.

John
Thanks for the reply's.

The table was free, just no router. I was looking for suggestions for usable units to put in the unit. I will probably only do limited work on the table and since it was just sitting around the shop, I thought upgrading it to a working tool would be good. I should have been clearer in my request.

I have the M12V, PC 521, and the Ridgid Trim router but usually do hand held work. I did not want to attach the M12V as I occasionally use it for hand work. The 521 and trim router are my main usages tools.

Any additional suggestions will appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
The basic PC 690 would work fine on that table. I would consider looking at a pawn shop or CL for a used one. The 690 has both size collets. Could use an 890 for more power.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
The 690 series was pretty much the standard router found in every pro Woodshop in Americaup until the 90s. After Bosch and DeWalt came out with their dual based routers, PC came up with the 890 at 2-1/4 hp.

The 690 motors can be found with variable speed.

Get a 690 for the table. It will fit without worry, can do anything that table was designed to handle, and a 690 motor alone is pretty cheap these days. Look at CPO and get one reconditioned.

I spent the first 20 years of my career as a woodworker using the 690 almost exclusively. It is not longer the best available, but more than adequate for most work.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.