Preventing rust on hand tools
I have been using paste wax to prevent rust on my hand tools, however I wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Scott
I use Camellia oil; keep it with a dedicated rag, spray the rag, wipe, put tool away, done. works for me.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/camel...240ml.aspx
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
At the suggestion of someone on this, or another forum, I've been using full-synthetic motor oil. A rag kept in a 4" pvc flange with a 4" pvc cap work very well as an oil-pot.
-Howard
I also always have a tub of Johnson's Paste Wax, which I originally got for my tablesaw/jointer things. When I do the Evaporust treatment on a handtool, the JPW keeps it from flash-rusting, quite nicely.

When I re-do a handsaw, I like a higher sheen on the plate, and I've been getting that from either a Briwax or Howard's Wax (both with beeswax and carnauba contents).

I've been wanting to try some other goodies such as the camellia oil or the Renaissance Wax one day, but no pressing hurry.
Chris
I have three suggestions, which I'm taking from an old blog post of mine.

1. Keep the dust off. Fine dust attracts condensation, so brushing/wiping off dust and keeping tools in a closed container (cabinet, tool chest, whatever) helps a lot.

2. Coat with oil or wax. Lots of good options, as mentioned above.

3. Use the tools regularly. Inevitably, when I find a rusty tool, it's one that I've let sit for months or even years without using. But tools I use regularly almost never see rust because I'm cleaning them more regularly.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I also use Camillia oil. I also use a lot of those little desiccant packages. I get them for free from one of the local pharmacies. The pharmacist is happy to get rid of them and I just toss a handful into each drawer.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
The 1st thing to do is learn about the dew points in your area. If the place where you store your tools regularly has temps down to or at the dew point, you are going to have condensation. Condensation is water which will cause rust. You may want to consider heating your tools storage.

If you believe wax is of benefit try this test 1st. Mark off a piece of cast iron or steel - has to have no finish on it - into 3 parts. Wax one part, oil another part, and leave the last part raw. Put outside and mist with water daily.

I use Corrosion-X HD as my daily wipe down - just because I have it left over from my salt water fishing days. When it runs out I'll get a can of Mobil 1 or other truly synthetic motor oil (this tip courtesy of Timberwolf.)

Also courtesy of Timberwolf, mutton tallow is said to be an effective anti-rust coating as well as the original plane sole lubricant ("wax"). I haven't tried this yet.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Smoothjazz077 said:

I have been using paste wax to prevent rust on my hand tools, however I wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Scott

Some time ago (Les than a year). I read a review of rust prevention products in a woodworking magazine, can't recall which one. The reviewer claimed that paste wax which is widly used to prevent rust on tools actually captures water and causes rust. After extensive testing of a variety of products he recommended CRC 3-36 Multi-Purpose Lubricant and Corrosion Inhibitor as the winner. I promptly bought a spray a gallon and a smaller size in a spray bottle. I keep two rags saturated with this stuff in a Tupperware container for wiping down tools after use and use the spray bottle to get into the nooks and crannies. So far all is well. No rust, no problems. I'm happy with the product and expect to continue using it. Of course living in Southern California rust is not much of a challenge in the first place. Good stuff, no strong odor or mess
Not a big fan of waxing hand tools.

I use Jotoba oil and keep one of those rubber abrasive cubes handy to buff out a spot.

In cases of non-conditioned shop environs, it is a good idea to keep them in a cabinet with a drying agent such as DampRid or camphor or similar products.
rwe2156 said:

In cases of non-conditioned shop environs, it is a good idea to keep them in a cabinet with a drying agent such as DampRid or camphor or similar products.

Or a low wattage light bulb or Goldenrod.