Engine cleaner solvents?
Need a really good grease/oil dissolver for farm equipment. Have tried rattle can products from various auto stores. They just don't penetrate.There must be something better? Any first hand recommendations ?
Bill B
Krud Kutter.

Recently tried it to clean a forty year old EGR valve. Worked great. And if it can dissolve all that baked on carbon/crud it will likely work for you too.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Thanks Mark. Any idea if it will damage painted surfaces like mower decks etc.?
Bill
If it is caked on, I have the best results with a pressure washer, then use a cleaner to finish it up.

Mineral spirits can help dissolve thinner areas.

I like 409 to get the fine oily surface more clean.
Steam pressure washer. Used to use them in fish restaurants cleaning the big fryers. Messy, but very effective.

Slightly expensive too.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Pure Simple green cut 1/3 with Ammonia...

Ed
Super Clean in the purple bottle/jug cleans anything.
And I mean anything. But it removes or softens paint.
That may be an issue for someone.
The engine cleaner products all work best when the engine is heated. I recall using Gunk to clean a car engine. The instructions said to get the engine block hot before spraying.

I suppose leaving the equipment in direct sunlight on a warm day would help or even tenting the equipment and using a kerosene heater for a couple of hours to warm up the castings would help. But the cleaners don't work well on cold surfaces and until you resolve that you won't have much luck.

There are heated pressure washers and that might be the answer.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Gunk that was the one I could not think of the name of. Been many years ago when I used that. Had a 1966 buick and a 1972 nova I used that on all the time. heat the engine let it sit and then wash it off with a hose.

Today Simple green is a very good cleaner. May take a couple coats but works well.
John T.
Mr_Mike said:

Steam pressure washer. Used to use them in fish restaurants cleaning the big fryers. Messy, but very effective.

Slightly expensive too.

Yup pure steam or a steam pressure washer is best. That's how they clean heavy equipment and semi engines.

My next best would be a pressure washer with simple green or similar cleaner.