Help with rehabbing a push brace.
I'm trying to rehab a North Bros. No. 75 "push brace" and can't seem to find a picture of the chuck spring(s) so that I can fabricate a new one. I THINK that I know what they should look like, but I think that I know a lot of things . Thanks guys!!
Wow, never had the opportunity to fondle one of those. They are neat as all get out. Good luck figuring this out, I got nothin......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Not much help here either. Looking at the patent information for the NB75 they say, "Secured to the spindle B is a chuck D which may be of any ordinary type." Although the drawings of the push drill are pretty good, there is nothing showing the parts of the chuck. Any identifying marks on the chuck that might lead to a solution?
Shoot. I had one, but sold it several months ago. It was so clean that I did not need to take the chuck apart. I'm betting that it has a "hairpin" style spring.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
North Bros. rang an interesting set of changes on their ratcheting tools. I've got a North Bros. tap wrench for tapping down into deep spots, picked up at an antique store because of its cool factor; no idea if I'll ever need it...
Phil S. said:

Not much help here either. Looking at the patent information for the NB75 they say, "Secured to the spindle B is a chuck D which may be of any ordinary type." Although the drawings of the push drill are pretty good, there is nothing showing the parts of the chuck. Any identifying marks on the chuck that might lead to a solution?

The chuck was covered under an earlier patent by Fegley. It might show enough detail to make a new spring.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Good find, Bob!

Here's what he says about the spring -

"The spring which is attached to the two jaws at c e is U-shaped and passes around the block C and is adapted to slots cin each side of the block and to a slot c2 in the rear of the block. It also rests in grooves in the The spring is bent as shown in Fig. 5 s0 as to enter a cavity c3 in the block, and in this cavity is a coiled spring f tending to force the spring E out and consequently forcing the beveled portion b of the jaws against the beveled portion c of the block. The spring E being secured to the jaws at c e, allows them freedom of motion so that they will accommodate themselves to any bit or spindle mounted in the chuck."

May help to interpret the drawing.

Phil
Bob: Looks just like mine, and thanks for the patent info. Trying to decide if I am missing the small part at the base of the chuck grips:

This thing nearly has me stumped .
I can't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure I have one of the those braces. I'll see if I can find it and get a pic or three of the spring. Might be a day or two before I can find it, though.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I don't have a lot to add except that in your pictures it sure looks like the top jaw in the first picture and I assume the same one on the left in the second picture looks like it has a small piece broken off one end. Also, I am not sure your jaws match up with the patent information another poster provided. There were several styles of jaws and they could change in a tool from year to year. Good luck with your search for the pattern for the spring.