Source of mesquite in the Phoenix area
I'm gong to be in Phoenix next week and would like to pick up a few board feet of mesquite for a keepsake box. Anyone have a source they can recommend?

Phil
Woodworker's source--- trust me, you won't be sorry you stopped in.

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
If the Phoenix store is like the Tucson store, Lawrence is right. Stop in.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Great! Thanks, Lawrence. That's only 15 minutes from where I'm staying. Just checked their website. Mesquite is pretty spendy - glad I don't need very much. Do you know if their online prices are the same as the price in a store?

Phil
pretty sure it is the same price - their shipping is quite reasonable too. I actually first used Woodworker's source when I was in San Angelo and got a delivery of various wood (a couple of hobby packs if I remember properly) I wasn't disappointed and was thrilled when I moved to Tucson where there was a local store.

Their mesquite is spendier than some you'll find, but it is kiln dried (Important because of pillbugs) and is generally good stuff.

Mesquite, by the way, is AWESOME to work with and is my favorite wood by far.

Lawrence
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
Lawrence-

Made it to Woodworker's Source yesterday.

They were having a special on padauk. Never seen such a stack before

We spent most our time inside looking at their hardwoods -

Each board labeled to species. I'm not sure if that is for the convenience of the customer or the staff when cleaning up after customers or checking them out.

Did find the mesquite I was looking for. I bought some 8/4 thinking I'll get 3 usable pieces out of one board rather than 1 out of a piece of 4/4 the same length. I don't think I have ever seen a mesquite on the stump you could get an 8/4 piece out of. My plan was to throw it in my suitcase to bring it home. Staff there obliged me by cutting the piece in three equal length pieces and wrapped it up for me, but it probably weighs 40# and will travel as its own checked luggage.

Prices were a little painful, but selection was outstanding and service was top-notch. Thanks for the steer!

Phil
Excellent- I'm really glad the tip helped.

Mesquite is amazing and I hope you enjoy using it. It sands well, takes glue well, and responds well to oil-based finishing. VERY stable- it doesn't move much at all, but is very hard on tools (think teak) because of its high silica content

Again, glad you were able to get what you wanted.

Lawrence
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
The piece I bought has some checks in it, but I was planning to fill them with Inlace anyhow. It's a lot more humid at home than here and I'm a bit worried when I resaw the boards they may get wonky on me, but I'll sticker them with some weight and hope for the best. The wood also had some unique grain, almost like rays in oak. Not very big, in spots about the size of a thumb print, but something I'll try to emphasize in the final project. I bought more than I will need for my curio box, but am also thinking of a display stand of some sort for the javelina skull I collected SW of Tucson some years ago. Eager to get home and get started as soon as Mayo says I can go.

Phil