X-Style Trestle Base
Does anyone have any experience building an X-style trestle table? My in-laws have asked that I build them one, and while I've built trestles before, never an X-style.

Looking for advice on the Xs... half-lap joinery comes to mind immediately, but I'm not sure if that's the optimal approach. FYI, the inlaws want the legs to be ~3.5" square, so the half-lap would be 1.75." Walnut is the material.

Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Half-lap is the usual approach.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks Steve - glad my gut building ideas were correct.
If you start with 5 x 5 and shape it so the joints are heavier it will look and be sounder and will not look like it belongs on the deck.
Hey, Steve, I'm building an "X-brace" Trestle table and one bench for my daughter-n-law. I have the bases finished and started on the bench top yesterday. I do not have a way to post pictures here, but if you are interested, I can email some to you. Better yet, come take a look for your self...I'll put a broom in your hand. Just kidding.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thank you both - Bill, as always, that's a fantastic project and the pictures are terrific.

ShovelMan - I will explore that option as well. Won't have a chance to continue this project until next month, so there is ample time to think about the next step.

Steve
Shannon Rogers (Renaissance Woodworker) has a video series where he builds that very thing. It's worth watching.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
1/2 lap and I would put a screw from the bottom just because its a semi-X grain glue up.

Or use epoxy.