Band saw question
I've done very little posting but follow this site daily so I know that the brain trust is here. My question is how high to set the blade guides above the work surface? I've seen videos where the guide is just above the work and others where the guide is 2-3 inches above. There must be a right way. I am working with a 14" Jet with riser block and Carter guides. Any help will be appreciated.
I always set mine as close to the work as I can an still see good. More blade support seems like to me.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
You want to make sure they clear the work. Other than that the lower the better for keeping fingers out and diminishing vibration. But it's not worth fussing about, so sometimes they will be a few inches above.

Cut something of uneven height where you happened to set the guides a bit too low for the highest part, and you will understand why a little extra space is helpful.
Or sometimes you just remove the upper guides altogether cause you need an extra inch or two. I don't recommend this for everyone.

"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
I'm with ruffcutt, adjust it to the lowest (closest) point where you can still clearly see the cut. You want as much blade support as you can get.
Howie.........
I'm with ruffcut, adjust it to the lowest (closest) point where you can still clearly see the cut. You want as much blade support as you can get. The same rule applies to the bottom blade guide. Get it as close to the bottom surface as you can.
Howie.........
I'll pile on with Ruffcut.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I always set mine as close to the work as possible, check I have clearance to move the piece when cutting.
To me I try to keep it as close as possible or from 1" and less unless I am cutting a log in half and then it is still about less then 2".

I Really do not care for the ball bearing guides and hope to make some out of Lignum Vite that I have or from ceramic sometime.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks to everyone. That is the way I have been doing it (except for no guides) but wanted to make sure. I knew I came to the right place.