Tool Handle making question
Hello All,

I've never made a tool handle, but need to do so now.
I have some extra hickory wood, so plan to use that.

My question is about the collet. Is the collet there to support the wood? or is more decorative than anything else? Does anyone know, if some regular store, like Menards, home Depot or Ace carry collets?

Any other advice is welcomed.

Joe
You may be referring to a ferrule, which helps keep the wood from splitting. Yes, I would consider them necessary. You can use brass or copper pipe sections from the plumbing area at the BORG.

Doug
I think what you're talking is the ferrule and I use a copper coupling or brass fitting to make mine. Just go to the plumbing department at your local hardware or big box and get a copper coupling or fitting and you'll be good to go. There are several pretty good videos on youtube about making handles including one I did.

removeable handle
Steve K

What the others said. I think they're necessary too.
Rodney
Thanks everyone very much. Good advice. I'll check out the video's also.

Joe
Oh yes, I meant to say "ferrule".

Steve, very good video. I gather that using woodworking lathe tools on brass is okay. Learn something every day.

I have 3" of "tang" from the tool. Yet you're only allowing about 1 3/4" into the wood handle. Is there any thoughts about that? I would like to use all of the tang from the tool, for added strength.

What kind of glue did you use with the copper ferrule?

Joe
MidwestMan said:

Oh yes, I meant to say "ferrule".

Steve, very good video. I gather that using woodworking lathe tools on brass is okay. Learn something every day.

I have 3" of "tang" from the tool. Yet you're only allowing about 1 3/4" into the wood handle. Is there any thoughts about that? I would like to use all of the tang from the tool, for added strength.

What kind of glue did you use with the copper ferrule?

Joe

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. High speed steel will machine brass just fine although I almost always use copper and it's even softer. The tools I was making a handle for have a "necked down" area that is about 1 3/4" long for inserting into a handle. That's how I determined how far to insert them. If your tang is 3" I would definitely use all of it. I just use super glue and it's pretty much a press fit around the wood. I suggest you watch as many other videos as you can. Everyone has their own way to do things and another may work better for you.
Steve K

Thank you Steve for the replies. Yes.... there are so many video's out there, I could spend far more time searching for an appropiate video than actually making a handle.

Good advice is welcome and let me know what you think. Here's what I have going on here, a 3" long 1/2" diameter tang on a "parting tool". The tang DOES have a flat, however, I figure this tool handle can be permanent, since sharpening a parting tool, is easy, and I don't believe I will need to take the tool out of the handle, to sharpen it.

But, maybe I'm wrong there. Your method is great, but might be overkill, I don't know.

Is there a simpler approach to making a handle for what I have?
MidwestMan said:

Thank you Steve for the replies. Yes.... there are so many video's out there, I could spend far more time searching for an appropiate video than actually making a handle.

Good advice is welcome and let me know what you think. Here's what I have going on here, a 3" long 1/2" diameter tang on a "parting tool". The tang DOES have a flat, however, I figure this tool handle can be permanent, since sharpening a parting tool, is easy, and I don't believe I will need to take the tool out of the handle, to sharpen it.

But, maybe I'm wrong there. Your method is great, but might be overkill, I don't know.

Is there a simpler approach to making a handle for what I have?

Yea, I believe the way I do it would not be very good for what you have. Now I think about our very Robo Hippy has a very good video that's pretty much about what you're trying to do.
Here you go

Robo tool handle
Robo Hippy's video is very good too. I can make use of it on another handle I need to make down the line.

However, the parting tool, is a round 1/2" diameter tang, 3" long that has a little flat for securing with a metal set screw (usually with a metal handle with set screws). When I say "flat" I mean that there is a 1/8" wide flat spot on the round tang, that goes the entire 3" length of the tang.