Woodworking Places in Rio De Janeiro?
Odd question for this forum - anyone ever been down to Rio and know if any woodworking places or things to check out?

Work is bringing me there, and while woodworking would hardly be on anyone's list when visiting Rio, I always like to check out local places when I travel. Thought the forum might have some ideas.

Steve
I don't know about woodworking in Rio but don't miss going to a Churrascaria for bbq and if you are there on a Saturday go somewhere and have some feijoada.
I also have to give a +1 on going to a Churrascaria for bbq. I think I may have eaten donkey ... kind of chewy, but tasted like beef. Not sure of any woodworking places, but I did the standard Sugar Loaf and Christ the Redeemer tours. Ipanema and Copacabana beach area. My advice, even during the daylight hours, do NOT go more than 1 block or so off of the main drag from Copacabana beach or even think about venturing up toward the favelas. There was also a nice tour of the cathedral I went on while there. There are some nice hotels and architecture along the beach as well. Keep in mind there is a high crime rate and poverty level there as well as many diseases. I would highly recommend applying a liberal coat of bug repellant with 40%+ of DEET.
Don't know about woodworkers, but don't miss the Sunday market in Ipanema...also known as the "Hippie Fair" (Started in the 60's by hippies). Lots of local crafts and will probably include some woodworking type stuff.
Bob
Excellent suggestions all! I'm taking notes! Thanks,
Steve
Go to the town square and look for Rico. He will be wearing a red Tshirt and black cap holding a brown bag. Give him 20 bucks and he will hand you the bag. In the bag are maps to all the woodworking shops in the area. If the maps are missing, disregard whatever else is in the bag and just bring the bag back and ship it to me- for inspection.
Go to Fogo de Chao, look up at the wood ceiling/roof, the wood bar, and the bathroom cabinets. Done. Skip Zika
SFlagg said:

Odd question for this forum - anyone ever been down to Rio and know if any woodworking places or things to check out?

Work is bringing me there, and while woodworking would hardly be on anyone's list when visiting Rio, I always like to check out local places when I travel. Thought the forum might have some ideas.

Steve

Someone above mentioned being prepared for mosquitos and suggested DEET. I will second that except to say that you should take Deep Woods Off or some other formulation with 100% DEET. In addition to the Zika virus you hear a lot about, there is a Dengue fever outbreak in that part of the world and it is not known as "break bone fever" for nothing. Also is fatal on occasion but mostly on repeat infections. Enjoy your trip. One of the most beautiful spots in the world. Ken