Water based finishes
Folks:
In the past I have used Waterlox - sometimes thinned, sometimes not, and like it for 2 main reasons - not a huge build up of film, and easy to apply with a cloth. This has also meant that I have no skill with a brush and no spraying option. However, I am no longer ok with the solvents in the air while applying the finish - despite using a mask - and am considering switching to a water based product. I know about the lack of color, but what would you recommend in terms of a water based product that I can apply with a rag rather than brush and will not build up too much on the surface (realizing that it will build up some)? The main protection I would be looking for is for food stains.
Thanks
Zalsa said:

Folks:
In the past I have used Waterlox - sometimes thinned, sometimes not, and like it for 2 main reasons - not a huge build up of film, and easy to apply with a cloth. This has also meant that I have no skill with a brush and no spraying option. However, I am no longer ok with the solvents in the air while applying the finish - despite using a mask - and am considering switching to a water based product. I know about the lack of color, but what would you recommend in terms of a water based product that I can apply with a rag rather than brush and will not build up too much on the surface (realizing that it will build up some)? The main protection I would be looking for is for food stains.
Thanks

I've only used the Minwax waterborne wiping poly (BTW, they are waterBORNE not water BASED finishes, the solvent is glycol ether, the water is just a way of spreading everything around). Worked OK. And I've only ever used the waterborne "regular" poly from Minwax with a foam brush and that too worked just fine. First time in my parent's house to re-do some interior window trim in a bathroom. Mom's not a fan of the solvent smell.

I believe the regular blue can of waterborne Minwax poly says you can thin it up to 20%. But it was pretty thin and self-leveled just fine working indoors with a cheap foam brush.

My go-to finish is shellac but I'll use oil-based wipe-on poly or "Watco" type finishes on some things. And as I said, only used the waterborne stuff a few times with acceptable results.

YMMV
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
One of the GF that I like for it's ease of application is EnduroVar as unlike Enduro CLEAR POLY it doesn't require spraying. I've liked Crystalac but they are now part of Becker Laboratories and there appears to be some reformulation of products. The solvent can be anything which forms a stable emulsion with water. Waterborne can even have two or three different components.

Make sure to follow the temperature guidelines and note that recoat time may be short (15–45 min.) but that a full cure may well take 72 hours before rubbout. I like to use shellac under waterborne as it allows me to adjust the coolor and to bring out the wood's grain.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I brushed EnduroVar for the first time this week. Wow!! That stuff is sweet--as it should be considering the price. It does have quite a bit of amber, though. I would rather have used Clear, but was concerned about brushing it.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Thank you all for your comments - but my question remains: is there a wipe on water based finish that does not build up too much film and is food/water stain resistant?
Zalsa said:

Thank you all for your comments - but my question remains: is there a wipe on water based finish that does not build up too much film and is food/water stain resistant?

This is the stuff I used : http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clea...ed-wipe-on-poly

Amazon says it should be around $18/16oz. I think I paid about $15 a few years ago at my local Ace Hardware.

Yes, it did work similar to an oil-based version. Used on a single project so therefore a single data point. No other basis of comparison.

Thin coats and lots of them to build a surface.

Would I use it again, probably not unless the solvent smells were a problem. I'm comfortable with oil based products and have used them just enough to be able to predict the outcome. Waterborne, works but I haven't used it enough to say it would work in every situation.

(Interesting side note, I just noticed that MinWax is using "waterbased" and not "waterborne" in the title of the product. But there are other nits to be picked today.)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
That's Enduro-Var. You can imit the rate of film build by thinning with p to 15% carrier (water) and limiting the number of coats.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes