Molded frame and panel Doors/Drawer Fronts w/o cope and stick bits
I'm working on a couple of companion kitchen cabinets for some folks. One of the cabinets has a single large frame and panel door, the other cabinet has 3 drawers, 2 of which are frame and panel. I want to make the door and drawer fronts look as close as possible to the original, but I didn't want to buy a set of cope and stick bits for such a small job. And I didn't need to.

The frame components have a 1/4" radius along the inside edge where they meet the raised panel. I made that with a 1/4" radius bit on the router table. The outside edges have a profile that a portion of a Roman Ogee bit matched well enough. So I cut those profiles on my stock, then cut the dados for the panels on the table saw. Then I cut the stiles and rails to length. Here's what the parts look like for one of the drawer fronts.

For this process, the name of which I don't know, sorry, you have to miter the corners of the molded sections, and then cut away the molded section on the ends of the stiles. Before I did that I glued in some 1/4" wide stock in the last 2" of the dados on each end of the stiles so there would be no gaps on the ends. I made the 45° cuts with my RAS, then cut away the molded sections on the stiles with my band saw and pared it flush with a chisel. That's what you see in the photo.

I cut the mortises in the stiles and rails with .... drum roll ..... yes, my horizontal router mortiser.

Here's a close up of one of the stiles clamped in place, ready to be mortised.

Here's a close up of the mortise in a stile and rail.

After the mortises were cut 3/4" deep in the stiles and rails I made the loose tenons to fit.

And here is the completed frame:

The joints fit perfectly flush, such is the beauty of the horizontal router mortiser. Shameless plug, forgive me.

Now I just have to size the panel, glue it up, and then remold the outer perimeter again. Shouldn't have done it at all until the end, but what's done is done.

Thanks for looking.

John
Hey John, just a question for you-any reason you didn't have the rails run between the stiles rather than the stiles between the rails? Is it a style choice (no pun intended) or construction preference. Or is the pic sideways? Just curious ROB
Good catch, Rob. The pictures are sideways. The rails do run between the stiles. Sorry for the confusion - and thanks for pointing it out.

John
Honest I'm paying atention Hopefully this weekend LOML will run out of honey do's, and we are mowing tonight. Crossing fangers.

Thanks for the lesson John

BTW that could work as a picture frame as well
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Hope you get in some shop time Steve. It's supposed to rain here and might even snow Sun. AM, so my outdoor chores are on hold for awhile. Maybe you'll get just as lucky.

John
That looks good John and I believe that they are called jack miters.
You are right, Bill; they are called Jack miters. I looked it up and found a helpful article by Gary Katz on cutting them with a router jig, which would be very useful if you were installing trim on a job site. Another link with several of the same photos, curiously.

Thanks,

John