window box -how would you build this?
Guys, I've been asked to build a couple of window boxes in a frame and panel design. The picture that was sent to me shows raised panels on the front of the box, sort of colonial looking. To be honest, I think the picture may be of a vinyl box, but it looks like wood and is painted black. Easy enough to build this box as pictured using tradition frame and panel construction, but for its intended purpose I'm not sure that is wise. If I do build it that way, I would really prefer to glue the panel in for rigidity and weather seal. The panel will be only about 4 or 5 inches wide, so not a lot of movement, but maybe too much to not allow for it? I'm also concerned with all the joints in a raised panel frame when exposed constantly to the weather. I know TB3 can hold up to the moisture, but it still seems like a potential problem.
Do understand that this is all an attempt to give the customer what she wants. I know there are many more practical ways to build a box (and the wood embossed vinyl one in the picture looks pretty nice from ten feet). Both of these boxes will be sized specifically for their location, the largest is about 6', the other about half that. Build material is also a matter of debate. These will be painted black when finished so I lean toward pressure treated pine or fir. Cedar, Cypress or White Oak are also possibilities. All advice appreciated.
I am not a fan of trying to turn outdoor fixtures into fine furniture. I think that there is too much going on outdoors for that to remain successful.

I would suggest fence slats (very cheap PT lumber), possibly a bunch of vertical pieces with a 1½" strip at the top and bottom to give the feeling of a frame and panel design. Or two horizontal pieces with the same strips. You could easily fill the space between the strips with cedar shakes and paint the strips and sides a contrasting color.

http://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/i....1280.1920.jpeg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_635548-153-63554...0&pl=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I agree with Cooler that frame and panel in outdoor structures is asking for trouble. Would it be possible to apply/laminate a "frame" to the face of the box. That would give you the appearance of (Shaker?) Frame and Panel without the concern for wood movement.
Two other considerations you might want to keep in mind.
A 6' window box will be very heavy even without a filling of dirt. Making two 3' boxes would make it much easier to install and remove if any maintenance is needed.
The other point is moisture in the soil eventually rotting any wood you might choose. I built a few unlined window boxes many years ago using cypress. They lasted many years, but that included a few years when the seams were not pretty. Sizing the boxes to allow readily available plastic boxes to fit inside would be an easy solution if that fits the width and depth that is need.
I agree using the plastic boxes for the actual planting- build the box to accommodate them.
PT frame with PT plywood panels would weather the storm. May not be the look your person desires though. I too would recommend the preformed plastic, those of heavier construction, and an allowance for drainage are very nice, come in a variety of colors too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If the customer is good with plastic planters inside wooden oxes then that's the way to go. If no plastic boxes then you can use Ipê or black locust. Planting in pressure treated wood may or may not give good results.

If the client is OK with plastic planters then the box can be: Ipê, black locust, osage orange, mesquite, cypress or white oak. These will require a good outdoor finish e.g. GF450 and maintenance. Or they can not finish and just let the wood gray.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
JR1 said:

Planting in pressure treated wood may or may not give good results.

Provided you are able to read, a person could look at the tag on the end of what your retailer is selling, and figure out if it is rated for above or below ground contact, and the number of years it's warranted for in that use. So if you use a 50 year below ground product, you think it may not be robust enough to work as a planter box. . sheesh

GW
Thank you everyone for your responses. When all is done these boxes will be either painted or stained a deep black, so the wood choice is more a matter of what will hold up as opposed to an aesthetic concern. The key request from the customer is to produce a raised panel look. I do agree that traditional joinery may be asking for trouble down the road. I'm thinking now a flat panel with applied mouldings may fit the bill. Not really raised panel of course, but enough to create some shadow lines. Sizing the boxes to contain plastic liners is definitely a good idea and I will suggest that.
Just to throw a little gas on the fire, and given that it will probably be a paint finish, what do you guys think of MDO in this application?
ed kerns said:

... key request from the customer is to produce a raised panel look. ....

....I'm thinking now a flat panel with applied mouldings ....

....what do you guys think of MDO in this application?

Perfect.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
barnowl said:

[blockquote]ed kerns said:

... key request from the customer is to produce a raised panel look. ....

....I'm thinking now a flat panel with applied mouldings ....

....what do you guys think of MDO in this application?

Perfect.

[/blockquote]

Not sure about the frame, but for panels it's a great product outdoors. They make highway signs from it, can't get a lot more exposed than that.

GW