Grinder tool rest modification
I finally got this old grinder dressed square and ready to use but the tool rest on the small wheel is all but useless, especially for a plane blade with the large slot in the middle. I've seen some shop-made rests before and of course there are the aftermarket one like Veritas. I'm not looking to spend the money on an aftermarket one at this point, so that means I'm looking for ideas on shop-made rests. I do have access to a small metalshop (at my local makerspace) that can help make one, or I'm fine making one out of wood scraps. At this point it will be used exclusively for plane irons and chisels, no carving or turning tools. Ideas please.
Lots of ideas here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grinder+...inder+tool+rest

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...+tool+rest
Angle iron makes good tool rests. Significantly more sturdy than a lot of factory ones.

Sometimes screwing a plate to the top of an existing tool rest can work

Below is both a plate on top, a modified wheel guard to allow more movement, and the addition of Kipp handles.

More angle iron tool rests.

Making your own support arm will give you a better arm.

Nothing special. Aluminum plate I can set at just about any angle to the wheel. Drilled and tapped holes for different optional guides for grinding blades, knives, cutters and so on, but I usually just use this wheel for drill bit sharpening (the black angle mark guides).

Just got to thank you all for the suggestions. Although I was not the original poster, I need to update my grinder. Many good suggestions. Thanks, Tom
YSU65 said:

Just got to thank you all for the suggestions. Although I was not the original poster, I need to update my grinder. Many good suggestions. Thanks, Tom

Ditto! Great ideas
Benny