Finally!!
Rusthunting has been pretty bleak around here lately, but things finally turned around this weekend. Hit a random garage sale and asked if there might be any woodworking tools. The guy told me to follow him and showed me an old tool chest. After looking things over and agreeing on a price, I came home with this group.

its a nice old chest that has the key and actually locks. Inside were most of the following.

Nice group of Witherby chisels

Starrett 4" and 12" squares, Stanley #4 trammels, couple of nice folding rules and a handful of gouges.

There's a nice little Disston keyhole saw, a D-8 and a really nice Simonds with a double etch (although somebody put a Disston medallion on it), and one that has an etch telling me its by J.M. Warren

The Stanley 67 actually has both soles and the fence. The squares are Stanley as is the mortise gauge and the bevel gauge. There's also a Starrett #110 stair gauge along with the other stuff.

Naturally, the planes were what initially drew me in. The 7 and one of the 5s are Stanley, the 4 1/2 is a (sadly) Sargent Hercules, the other 5 is a Sargent VBM and the #3 looks like a Siegley. There were also a couple of wooden cases that had some goodies.

The auger bits are mostly Rj's, but there are a couple of Swans on the left.

The long augers will not be of any use to me, but the Stanley #237 level is pretty cool and should clean up quite nicely. As usual, there are a couple of things I couldn't identify and they are in this last pic. I'm pretty sure the hatchet is for roofing, but I've never seen a screwdriver with the arm on it like this or the little gizmo. If anyone can help me on those, I'd appreciate it.

I'm hoping to hit a few more finds like this.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Nice find Dave. I've yet to find a chest of tools. I don't know what that clamp thing in the last pic is but I'll think about it.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Nice haul!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

The little gizmo looks Stanley to me and my best guess is a blade clamp for a #66 beader, but it doesn't look quite right. Not home so I can't check it against mine.
Hatchet may be a lathing (LAA-thing) hatchet, used when installing wood lath for plaster.

I've never been sure how to tell the difference between a lathing hatchet and a roofing hatchet. Modern roofing hatchets tend to have a gauge, but not the historical models.

Nice get.
Wow Dave, "Congratulation" very nice find indeed. I am drooling really bad, I would love to find a haul like that. I love those Wetherby Chisels, they are great.

Steve
Phil S. said:

The little gizmo looks Stanley to me and my best guess is a blade clamp for a #66 beader, but it doesn't look quite right. Not home so I can't check it against mine.

That's what I thought it was at first. I'll post some better pics in a separate thread, but there is a spot on the back that accepts a screw.
does the arm on the screwdriver ratchet? I have some screwdrivers with a hex section, which is obviously to turn with a wrench. That can be extremely useful on a stuck screw, at least up to the point where the head strips
The arm does ratchet. I can see how that would be helpful, but I don't understand why the square hole is on the other end.
Isn't the hatchet a form of hewing hatchet for smoothing log sides?

On the ratchet, does the screwdriver come out of the side where it's installed? The other end could be for a different size screwdriver, or perhaps another tool such as an auger bit.

On the little clamp, any chance a steel rule fits inside the ledge, and it's some form of length stop?
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow