Source for vise screws
I want to build Tage Frid's workbench design, which calls for two 1.25" vise screws, one 13" and the other 20". The longer length is hard to find -- anyone recommend a source for screws that large in diameter and that long?
Wooden Screws

Lake Erie Toolworks.

I think Chris Schwarz recommended them.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Try contacting this place. http://www.shelterinstitute.com/shop Although it was a couple of years ago when I was there last they had some big screws but I don't see them in the catalog on line. If you don't mind rust busting I have a big one that I believe is bigger than what you are looking for.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Enco carries 1-1/4 Acme threaded rod in several pitches in 3' and longer lengths with nuts to match. Not sure how well that would work for a vise. If you have access to a machine shop they may be able to make necessary fittings.
I used a scaffolding leveling leg screw (1.25" diameter) and nut - I got a used one from a scaffolding rental place for $15. I think it was 36" long - I had to cut a good chunk off it.

R/
William
Wooden screws are expensive you can buy a kit to make your own.

I just built the same type table and used the steel screws Lee Valley has them.
The machinery supply places like Enco sell acme threaded rod and nuts.
A man of foolish pursuits
Scaffold leg screws are ok but low precision so they can handle mud and crud.

McMaster Carr has what you need.
McMaster-Carr looks like the best option to me. I can get both screws out of a 3' length. Carbon steel only $42, and about $90 if I want to step up to the heat treated one, although I'm not sure what the benefit would be there. Is heat treated less likely to rust?
No, heat treating makes it more durable. 100 years vs 50 years. Go with the regular.