What are you working on?
CLETUS said:

I've got some hickory setting in the shop for a father and son project I've been wanting to do.... but no free time.

You have to make the time before they leave and live many states away- ask me how I know. The time with them comes only once- but work will always be there!

Do It!
daddo said:

[blockquote]CLETUS said:

I've got some hickory setting in the shop for a father and son project I've been wanting to do.... but no free time.

You have to make the time before they leave and live many states away- ask me how I know. The time with them comes only once- but work will always be there!

Do It!

[/blockquote]

QFT, and is it ever!
Nice save, John. It's really hard to see the repair.
So true on making time with the son to do the project, last 4th of July I cancelled everything to make a Japanese wooden fighting sword(Bokken) from Hickory with my son. Great afternoon and postponing no longer resulted in an item of pride. BTW- Joe is quite intimidating with the sword and I no longer can keep up at his sparing partner.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
daddo said:

[blockquote]CLETUS said:

Do It!

[/blockquote]

+100. I took off my boys spring break week and we made an Adirondack chair. Kept him off the XBox for three+ days. He couldn't be prouder of it and it wasn't hard getting him in the shop. Pics soon.

I'm actually not building much lately to see the kids more. Daughter heads to college in about 13 weeks. Son is finishing 9th grade. It goes by fast.

I travel a lot for work and could spend 12 hours a day at the desk. Lately the PC is turned off at 5:10 when I'm home and I'm limiting travel to two nights each week. I've got decades ahead of me for work and hobbies. Not so much with the kids.

Mike
I'm still finishing up a small tool chest that I posted about a couple of months ago. If the weather is nice this weekend, I will have the kids help me paint it with some green milk paint. I need to finish the hinges, a job that has been tedious and taken a lot longer than I expected. I started started some out of an old wagon tire, but realized that they each weighed a pound. Not very good for portability. This is a picture welding one of the monster hinges out of an old wagon tire. I think I may cut them in half to get something more reasonably sized.

In the time I haven't been wood working, I've been designing a desk for loml. This has been in the mental design stages for a while, but I've recently spent time getting it worked out more practically. The base for this will be steel, with the top being walnut. I can hopefully start on it next weekend, now that the details are worked out.

Daniel, I'm jealous of your "black smithing". I acquired a taste for it too late in life to learn.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
If it's okay for a turner to contribute here I have several of these little maple vessels in process. Have a few different designs in mind but this one imitates a "leilei" weave and it's normally woven with water hyacinth reeds.

Steve K

Steve K said:

If it's okay for a turner to contribute here I have several of these little maple vessels in process. Have a few different designs in mind but this one imitates a "leilei" weave and it's normally woven with water hyacinth reeds.

I am not a turner although I have a nice lathe. I am prone to hobby addictions and have always thought that if I ever started turning, my flat woodworking would be left wanting. Nonetheless, I do marvel at complicated turnings and enjoy seeing how they were done. Would you mind sharing pics of how you did this marvelous piece? Ken
Daniel,

Your smithy looks great! I wish other smiths would post photos of thir shops. I find smithys intriguing. Thanks for posting yours.

Hank