Show me your reclaimed wood picture frames
I just finished remodeling our bathroom. I want to put up a frame that has a picture on the top and a Bible verse on the bottom. Hobby Lobby didn't have what I was looking for. So maybe I'll make it myself.

I'd sure appreciate seeing what you guys have come up with.

Thanks
Steve
"We have a clear winner here...stevensondrive. Congratulations!"
Richard D.
Richard D.
I've done a lot of those when I was a framer. Go to a local frame shop and have then cut you a mat board with two windows.

Mount each image on a separate oversized board. Mount each image to the rear of the appropriate window.

Then add a backer board and frame in a regular rectangular frame. It will end up being a custom size so you will have to make it yourself.

Or you can go back to Hobby Lobby and buy an oversized frame and re-cut it to size. It may be cheaper. It will be faster and easier. And you wife might like the designs.

Your miters have to be perfect as these are going to be pre-finished moldings.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks bud
Richard D.
In my time I've framed thousands of pictures. Ask questions if you have any.

The best way to get perfect miters is to cut on either side of the blade. An aluminum framing square screwed down to a piece of 3/4" particle board and made into a sled will guarantee perfect miters. Just slice through the aluminum. Then Put your molding on one side and the mating piece on the other. Even if one side is of the other side will pick it up the difference.

For example if your cut is at 44.6 degrees on one side the other side will be 45.4 and will equal a perfect 90 degrees (as long as the framing square was perfectly square).

You could make this from wood, but the aluminum squares are cheap and it makes a quick sled.

I use a sliding table saw for miters and it works on the same principle.

This is the saw I use: http://www21.pair.com/hequip/ZQT_3099.JPG

But what I described to you (on a table saw, sliding miter saw or radial arm saw) will work just as well.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Barn Wood

Wood salvaged from a lake, from a logging site, one continuous board.

From an old paint store, floor in the paint mixing area.

Vermont hay wagon wood, white oak, 30 years old, aged from being outside.

Cutting up the wagons(my stepdad)

Van loaded.

Bolts removed and neatly stacked.
remind me of myself last big load of lumber i picked up were church pews. I was slicing up some of it today to make transitions for flooring, cabinet face frames, stiles and rails
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

A little late to the show, but here are a couple barnwood frames I made for my nephew...

I've never cared for the look of a cut edge on old barnwood projects - it just always seems to take away from the "aged" look.

On this larger frame I kept the natural edge on the inside edge, and wrapped the outer edge with walnut.

On the smaller frames I wrapped both edges with hardwoods. I wasn't sure how the bloodwood would look, but it turned out to be my favorite. The other two frames shown in the picture above are wrapped in cherry & walnut...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
The Bloodwood wrap is slick; sweet contrast.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Big Dave said:

A little late to the show, but here are a couple barnwood frames I made for my nephew...

I've never cared for the look of a cut edge on old barnwood projects - it just always seems to take away from the "aged" look.

On this larger frame I kept the natural edge on the inside edge, and wrapped the outer edge with walnut.

On the smaller frames I wrapped both edges with hardwoods. I wasn't sure how the bloodwood would look, but it turned out to be my favorite. The other two frames shown in the picture above are wrapped in cherry & walnut...

Dave

I like the walnut and cherry you wrapped around it .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"