Stanley #45 "Bighead" edition

A while back lilrichard2 posted in S&S for assistance with his Stanley #45. The fence knob was missing. I suggested he make his own and wanted to post a picture of mine...

BUT

the boneyard is in a little disarray these days. I gave up looking after going through a few layers.

Fast forward to today when I started organizing and installed some stack totes. Boom! I moved a layer of spokeshaves and there sat my rehabilitated #45. Mr Bighead himself.

Plane fences of this vintage are often found with missing knobs. They are rosewood and are attached to an oversized screw post. Apparently the wood cracks or shrinks and comes loose. Later models of the #45 fence have a knob attached with a screw and these are more durable.

Anyway, I rehabbed this one and made an oversized walnut knob because it fit my big paw better. I like the look.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice!

r2
Jim, thanks for posting this. I just dug out the knob I made, and it looks like it will work pretty well. Not going to match, but my 45 is pretty disreputable anyway, so it will fit right in.