Would you confess?
Stepson is a competent carpenter, but ignorant of many WW techniques. When he saw the counter in my van, he remarked, "Wow, it must have taken a lot of time to glue all those layers together!" I opened my mouth to say, "All I did was screw three layers of ply together," but I confess I just didn't say anything.

Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I don't see what there is to "confess" about a well-made countertop, But perhaps it's easier to discuss things with certain people more than others. Is it the relationship or the technique that keep you from explaining?
I probably would have agreed and made up a story about laminating 42 layers of special order Baltic birch 4" wide strips, after having to buy a $400 vacuum press outfit and 6 gallons of vacuum press wood glue.

Confess?

Really?
K. L, McReynolds said:

I probably would have agreed and made up a story about laminating 42 layers of special order Baltic birch 4" wide strips, after having to buy a $400 vacuum press outfit and 6 gallons of vacuum press wood glue.

Confess?

Really?

Yup same here.
Edit: Since its a stepson, I'd probably ask why he thought that rather than the obvious answer of laminated plywood. A stranger, I'd wonder their competence ad keep my mouth shut.

As an aside...That's a fantastic counter top (and cabinet as well). Was it one piece and carefully cut out, or two-piece and template routed to match? What do the butler hinges of the left end do?

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Carolyn, a lot of us would smile if you gave us a pictorial tour of that buggy some day. It has been a work in progress. From that pic it looks like the kitchen is hidden into a space made for travel.

A lot of what you see in Carpentry may look like something other than what it really is too. Having done a fair amount of both I guarantee there are differences. At least he appreciated there were layers. A lot of people looking at BB ply on edge wonder what those funny lines are for
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Carolyn

You are doing a absolute fantastic job and you should feel proud. I do not know if it would make any difference is saying it our not, but he should have known better then to ask a question like that since he should know that.

Well done, well done.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I start with explaining how difficult it was to evenly peel the layers from the log.
You got it just right; both the non-answer and that wonderful looking galley! Well done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Tell him the truth. He's your husband's son. Trust beats deceit any day of the week. Better to learn from family than from someone who'd grant him less mercy.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill