Fence square
So I set my joiner fence with the outside of a cheap engineers square and it looks good. Then I check my cut with the inside of the square and I'm all out of wack. After an hour of scratching my head turns out the square is junk. I need a good one. Looking to spend around $50. Any ideas? thanks
Look for a Starrett #20 square on Ebay..I see some that look really nice for $50 or less...buy from a dealer with a good reputation..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Bite the bullet and buy a 6" Starrett double square. Buy an older one if possible. Excellent quality and you won't believe how much you'll use it.

Lonnie
Make one...

Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Stop in a stationary store and spend 10 or 15 bucks on a set of plastic drafting triangles. Not a school kids geometry set.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have found these Epstein blems to be the best value in marking guages. Every bit as accurate as my Starrett, and at only a fraction of the cost. Owning 5 pieces from this Epstein site I can honestly say their definition of a blem, and mine doesn't match. 3 of the pieces look retail ready to my eye, and the other 2 only have a slightest of paint fade.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought a solid steel bevel edge square from Shars tool on Ebay. The listed tolerance was plus or minus .00008". They come in a range of sizes from 2 1/2" to 10" I have the 6' version and it was less than $25.00. You can't beat it for price and accuracy. The bevel edge really helps when setting up saw blades and fences. Its not very good for layout purposes.

Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com
They do work great.