Cost to build a shop-?
I already had the concrete pad....to stick build my 30x40 shop a few years ago was $20k. All work done by myself and family.

If you or a family member is military or retired military, my sure you bring them along to get the 10% discount at the big boxes.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

15k for a 24x40

All work myself but concrete. Some nice details are that it is fully sided with HardiPlank. I did a termite treatment before they poured concrete with Termidor. Vaulted ceilings to give me 13' in the middle and 10' eaves. 5-6" concrete that I formed up myself then had a crew pour and finish. 12" roof overhangs. 26ga metal for the roof. And my last minute insight, a side porch for my grill. All these are items that a builder would up charge unfairly so it makes them quite affordable when you do the work yourself. It takes a long time though.

From this

To this. This is the last picture in my photobucket but I have more that includes the facia trim and whatnot.

15k from the gravel that was put down as a base to the last wire nut. But without wall finishings or insulation. The insulation and wall finishings cost 1000 and the AC another 1000.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Wow, that is a lot of shop for a little money. When I looked up the materials to build the basic structure myself it came out to almost 10k. I was willing to pay the extra to get me under roof quickly and finish the rest myself. I guess it is a testament to how expensive the Baltimore/DC area is to live in.

I'm building one right now and due to where it is, its being built to residential house standards.

2x6 wood frame walls, sizzor trusses, floor joist with deep crawl, insulated, heat pump, drywall all 5/8" ( Code ) .. $100 a sf.. in Canada. so figure $76.00 USD ..

I would consider this the upper end of the scale..
Where I live (NE FL) a shell will run in the neighborhood of $30-40/sf. Contractors generally don't like building them the profit is in the build out, not the shell. It depends on how busy they are.

Also keep in mind utilities. This can add several K to the price. A dedicated service is best if you're planning HVAC or have big machines. I had a 200A service put in my barn last year it was $4K.
2014 30 X 48 x 10' high pole barn with cement complete painted steel over hangs all sides and electric steel on the ceiling and 16 inches of blown insulation $25000. totally built buy a contractor included sight prep and sand
works out to be less than 18 dollars per square foot in a rural area of mi.
2012 built a 28X26 for my son we did almost all the work stick built south of me in the city cement work contracted out and we did all the remainder cost over $40 per square foot no electric no insulation
current menards flyer in the 48060 zip code
32x32 x 10 high two over head doors one entry door 12 inch over hang on all sides 8' on center posts 48" on center trusses $9089.00 about $ 8.00 a square foot or so with out cement
S.W. Michigan. I just had a 30x40x10ft tall stick built shop shell completed. 6ft deep stem walls due to elevation of house and land, 4inch cement floor, 2x6 16"o.c. walls, 6 windows, 2 service doors, one 10'x8' insulated garage door, and vinyl siding /aluminum trim. Water line brought underground from house and roughed in bathroom, Overall cost was $27.91 per sq ft with contractors doing all the work ($33,500)
$25/s.f. would be a rough start.
My Day Job
well, bye.
Thank you all for the numbers and ideas. We have decided to pass on that particular home but I appreciate the info, I may need it on the next one.