Rust removal
Greetings

A "Men in sheds club" has started up near me and they have been given some second hand tools including a tenon saw which has a very rusty blade.

What is the best way to remove the rust please?

In the past I have used citric acid and electrolosys[sp] but they leave the metal looking grey.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Toscageoff

Work Safely

WTH is an assignation?? WM 01/08/08

Use of chemicals on saw plates is not recommended by the experts around here.

A real master is Darryl Weir, he's been doing it for some time, and is one of the best there is out there. Here's a link to his site where he graciously shares his knowledge about restoring saws.

http://oldsawsrestored.embarqspace.com/#...4588931536

Also, WK Fine Tools site has a whole page on saw restoration with great articles by guys who know what they are doing; link:

http://trestore.wkfinetools.com/saw/saws...-index.asp

Now, I've just ruined your evening giving you all this reading material! Cheers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use EvapoRust. I don't know if it will negatively effect a saw blade but I haven't seen any problems with using it for other tools. It does turn them gray but it's only temporary. I wipe everything down with a thin coat of oil and have never had an issue.

This is a Stanley 4-1/2 fresh from a barn which cleaned up real well after soaking it in EvapoRust over night. I took it apart first and re-assembled it. Then I rinsed it with clean water and blow it dry with compressed air.

I usually chuck up the smaller pieces like screws and threaded rods in a hand drill and spin them in some fine steel wool.

I might use a brass brush on stubborn spots but never a steel wire brush. One of my pet peeves is marks on old tools left from wire wheels, steel brushes or other aggressive cleaning attempts.

When someone finds a way to remove the pits left in the steel when the rust is removed, I would pay to hear about it!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Timberwolf said:

When someone finds a way to remove the pits left in the steel when the rust is removed, I would pay to hear about it!!!!!

Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
Hey...I just want to remove the "PITS"...not the cast iron surrounding them!!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Bondo and paint.
I had to look up "men in sheds club" Fun name for a great idea.
I read that its popular in your UK and Australia.

I have been working on some restorations but so far haven't had time to go beyond a brass brush on a grinder. I bought some evap o rust but want to do a little more reading of the links the members suggested.

Toby
I would think the process of restoration is pretty different for a very flat sawblade and a plane or a chisel or gouge.
I like the first link about his process on the saw.

toby
Here's a pretty good thread about saw plate restoration -

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...&PHPSESSID=