Are these planes worth this much?
I saw these ads on my local CL.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/5597480689.html

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/5597489930.html

I'm wondering if they're worth that much money.

Carl
Carl, Spiers made some very nice planes. That said, I think the price is pretty high. Ebay has a number of completed auctions where Spiers planes sold for around $200 to $250 including shipping. I would also deduct for the pitting to the sole, though it probably does not impact use, the pitting looks pretty extensive.
I agree with Barry. 200-250 looks good. Although these infills make outstanding finish planes, there are precious few buyers out there for users. My guess is that 90% of these planes are decorative and that makes condition affect the price. If this one looked new with flashy wood and no pitting, then 400 would be a bargain.

There is mention of another plane. Perhaps a visit and some wheeling dealing would elicit a bargain. If nothing else, you can meet a local woodworker.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
The Spiers may be a little overpriced but The Marples could be a pretty good buy because it is rather unusual. The seller has probably stated his "asking" price..not the price he would be willing to accept...Whether they are "worth" it or not depends on your wallet and how bad you want them...like so many other things we all "want"...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Not an expert on infills but that Marples? looks like a craftsman made plane with factory guts. The lines, proportions and knob just don't jive for an English plane maker. JMHO.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Seller can always come down, but I doubt any buyer would go in offering more than the asking price. I agree with pricing stated so far.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Carl Grover said:

I'm wondering if they're worth that much money.
Carl

Not to me!

There's a guy on ebay UK who, it seems, set out a couple of years ago to corner the market on classic infill planes. It might be working for him... every infill he lists is about £200 and up - sometimes to over £10,000 (from, say, $300 to $15,000). He appears to sell a few.

Go back about 5 to 10 years and I had an itch for an infill - not a need, you understand, just a craving. In those days they sold for upwards of £200, which was too rich for me; I'd rather - and did - invest my money in Veritas planes. I'm now reconciled to never owning an infill.

But I understand... if you have the itch, and the money, good luck to you. Me, I'd rather buy a bunch of cherry or walnut (if you're a fan of cherry, don't move to the UK).

ETA: this is the guy... Read 'em and weep!
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tea-And-Teak-An...sop=3&rt=nc
PeteW said:

I'm now reconciled to never owning an infill.

You don't need to be.

I have a couple that, granted, don't see much use but I like having them for their place in WW tool history.

Here is a pair offered by Donnelly for a bargain expected price that look to be in decent shape, although un-named.

Donnelly infills
I love how they look and would love to have a few just so others can hold them and even try them, but know we will never have a chance to buy one on my budget.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
No they are not based on dozens of completed auction results. You should be able to pick up a good Spires in the $150 to $250 range assuming you are buying from the owner, which seems to be true in this case. Prices from resellers will be much higher. In the 90s I spent a lot of time in Glasgow haunting the Barras, the local antique market. Mathieson tools were manufactured a few blocks away in Gallowgate. Spiers and Mathieson tools were commonly available and very reasonable. My suitcases were almost always over weight.