Pvc trim boards
Has anyone used the cellular pvc trim boards for fascia? If so, how easy was it to work with? I trimmed my shop with aluminum coil stock when I built it, but it's got a few dings and it ripples when the weather gets hot, so I am thinking about replacing it with the pvc. Thanks
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I used PVC trim around a couple of garage doors. My experience is that it doesn't hold up very well. Several pieces cracked and it seems to move quite a bit with temperature extremes. I'll be replacing it shortly.

I put it up a few years ago so it may have improved since then.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Funny you ask this as i was cussing myself about it yesterday...

For some applications it's ok. It doesn't hold up very well to heat. So if it's in direct sun or any position it will possibly droop when hot, stick with wood.

Now for the part I am cussing myself for. I used the brick mold and 1x4 material back when I replaced the doors. In fact that's about the extent of the product availability here. Sometimes there are a few other styles but it's rare.
The issue is painting. I painted yesterday and what a horrible experience. It is the biggest royal PITA to paint. It does not brush well at all. Wood is a piece of cake the pvc even with the recommended products just doesn't paint well.

If you do paint it spray it. I would have but being trim around a door it wasn't really possible.

Oh also its cellular so if any of the cut edges touches water it will wick it up.
Filling nail holes is not fun either.

I think the pain of working with it is why it was cheaper than the same trim in finger jointed wood.

It will also ding easier than wood as well.

As much as I gripe about it there are uses for it but don't use it everywhere.

For facia just use Hardie board, smartside, cedar etc. Personally I'm a big fan of the Hardie products but the variety here is slim because siding doesn't meet code here so not much to choose from.
Azek trim boards are a wonderful thing in my neck of the woods. Matches the wood dimensions and termites won't eat it.

As far as painting, the only color I have ever applied was a gray and it was not a problem. I understand dark colors can be challenging though. Most of the time I leave it natural white. No painting needed. No maintenance down the line.
Azek cuts like wood. I've ripped it, cross cut it and used a router on it. I used 3/4" thick Azek to make a white picket fence on two sides of our patio($200 worth for 35 feet of fence).

Ripped the horizontal pieces on a ts(ripping blade), and cross cut and dog eared the pickets on my miter saw.

Wash it once a year(mildew) and keep the squirrels away(they nibbled the tops).
From what I have heard this product is more stable and rot resistant
http://www.boralamerica.com/truexterior
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

All of the upper fascia boards around the roof of this porch and the bead board on the ceiling are vinyl. I purchased it all at once so I could get a perfect color (dye lot) match. It isn't painted. It's Azek. Not sure the brand of the bead board. It was from Lowes and sold in 6" wide strips in a package. Everything was installed with finish nails.

No problems with it but there is movement so account for it.

It expanded and shrank like crazy on my house and I had to have several pieces that were in direct sunlight replaced. Over ~10' it would move ~1/2"-3/4" leaving gaps at both ends.
I used it (not sure of the brand) to wrap around the cut brick when I put a new window in the old house - casing plus brick mould on the outside, and again when I turned an existing window into a door. I never noticed problems with movement. All the miters were glued + screwed and the brick mould was glued + screwed with trim screws to the casing and I ran a bead of adhesive caulk between the brick and the brick mould. I never had problems. I used trim screws and caulked when done. I did not paint it.
I used it to trim out some cedar siding. It is just 2 years old but it looks fine. I did not paint it. It cut easily with my cross cut blade. I like it.

The thin trim is overly flexible and may require two people to install. And it seemed heavy at the time (the boards).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.