48" Octagon
Well the base for my table that seems to be taking about a year to make is about done. Now I need to concentrate on the top. I need to make a 48" octagon. The 48" is the small diameter. This will be veneered so I am planning on using baltic birch ply. Any tips on how to cut a large octagon?
Skilsaw

http://blog.buildllc.com/wp-content/uplo...kilsaw.jpg
John T.
Cut the 48" square first. Each side is 19.88". The distance across points is 51.95". See post #2 for a tool to use.

web page

Good luck.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Bope said:

Well the base for my table that seems to be taking about a year to make is about done. Now I need to concentrate on the top. I need to make a 48" octagon. The 48" is the small diameter. This will be veneered so I am planning on using baltic birch ply. Any tips once how to cut a large octagon?

I just went through figuring octagons for a lighthouse I am copying

To lay out an octagon 48" square. Cut the square. Draw lines corner to corner. They will be 45 degrees. Measure 24" each side of centre on those lines and draw a line square to it. 45 degrees to the square piece
Cut to those lines however works with the tools you have
Mine were only 12" squares so setting the radial arm saw at 45 worked great
For The Love Of Wood
Thanks for the help. It looks like some careful layout and cutting is needed. I was hoping there was some neat trick to cutting accurate octagons.
I was too. I tried cutting them on my table saw sled but it didn't work, then I tries the RAS with a good indicator mark and it worked quite well.
The laying it out with carefull dimensions and fine lines was the real trick.
There may be others on here that have other tricks but I haven't seen them pop up
For The Love Of Wood