removing shutters from house?
after hurricane sandy knocked half my garage out, i got a new roof and new siding. The contractor put up some shutters on the front windows. I'd love to paint some trim pieces and such the same color, but can't find that color--i grabbed every green paint chip home depot had. I'd like to pull one down and just have it color matched, but don't know how to get it down without breaking. I called the contractor, and he said they're these plastic shafts with barbs on the side of them that bite into the plywood on the house. That sounds like one of those things that breaks when you try to remove it. Any suggestions?
They are and they will (probably). Just replace them with screws when you hang them back up (best to have them sunk a little so you can cover the heads).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Hand saw

Recip saw
Pry the shutters off. Buy new plastic barb things. Re-install shutters. All is good.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Pry the shutters off. Buy new plastic barb things. Re-install shutters. All is good.

Twinn

you make it seem so simple... any idea where to buy the new barb things? especially in the same color?? i have no idea what brand they are, or where they were purchased from.
I think he was talking about these. home depot
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

I think he was talking about these. home depot

ahh... sold online only--that would explain why i've never seen them before.
Local stores have them in all the colors of shutters they sell.. If HD aren't right try Lowes.

You could always paint them to match.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Local stores have them in all the colors of shutters they sell.. If HD aren't right try Lowes.

You could always paint them to match.

Twinn

Or, save the old ones, use screws with a washer countersunk, cut off the top button of the old ones and epoxy it in place.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

Or, save the old ones, use screws with a washer countersunk, cut off the top button of the old ones and epoxy it in place.

i thought about that, but then it's truly permanent-- wouldn't be able to get the caps off again, should i ever need to remove them again down the road.