Cremation container for cemetary
My Mother in law called last night and asked if I would build a wooden container for the cremated remains of my Father in Law, to be buried at the cemetery. I know sounds different (in my opinion), but that is what she wants. I will make it out of wood from their property (already have some oak dried. Anybody have a simple plan/idea that won't be a big deal? All comments appreciated. How would you build it?
I made this one for my Dad. Pine with Walnut corners. If you need dimensions, I think I still have my drawings and would be happy to look them up for you.

" />

" />

Nothing fancy. As you can see, I did a raised panel for the sides that fit into grooves in the corner pieces. I used a dowel in the corners to attach the top and bottom and put in a sliding section in the bottom to put the remains into the box with an inset screw to hold it closed.

Dad had always said "just put me in a pine box and chunk me in the ground". Hence the pine box. The Walnut was from a walnut tree he'd cut down and given me what was left of the log that he hadn't used when he had to stop playing with power tools.

Good luck with the project.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I did a plan for a simple burial urn for a group of woodworkers who volunteer their time to make urns for vets. You can see the first page here. It's not fancy but it gets the job done.
I did this one a few years back.
Mitred corners with splines.
It was laser engraved with his name and dates.

For The Love Of Wood
toolmiser said:

My Mother in law called last night and asked if I would build a wooden container for the cremated remains of my Father in Law, to be buried at the cemetery. I know sounds different (in my opinion), but that is what she wants. I will make it out of wood from their property (already have some oak dried. Anybody have a simple plan/idea that won't be a big deal? All comments appreciated. How would you build it?

You have oak, while I answered mom's request for a "pine box" which TSA could X-ray without opening. Don't ask me why, policy says they can't look and disrespect the cremains in metal.

Anyway, 1/2 oak with box joints would be a replica. Calculate cubes http://www.mainelyurns.com/what-size-cremation-urn.html and build a bit larger than calculations. Interior of 6X6X6 or perhaps a touch larger for a 200 Lb individual. I glued the sliding top, because once in the niche, there would be no cause to open. If you need to spread ashes, don't use glue on the top slide.

Similar to this simple box would be easy.

Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Ive made close to 5000 urns in the past handfull of years.

My advise is not to overthink it. Essentially its a box. Make one with the base that removes from screws. You can do this by having a solid wood base that is larger than the box, or an inset plywood panel in a rabbit joint. Both are completely acceptable.

The idea of using wood from a property tree is a great idea. If they were Christians, its pretty easy to make a small cross on top, or with a saw kerf, inlaying a cross.

Ask MIL if she has any wishes and go from there.

Again, dont stress about it. Your result will be much nicer.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try not to overthink this. I know my work will only get to be admired for a short time. I thought I had some white oak, but I don't, so leaning towards ash or cherry, or walnut. I know not great outdoor woods. I might do finger joints for whatever reason. It's hard to make something and resist the usual reasoning.
The urn will most likely be in a sealed vault before its placed into the ground, so the choice of wood isnt important for that reason, only for the viewing and what the family wants.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)