festool - makita track saw questions
I bought my TS55 somewhere around 04 or 05 when I was going through a lot of sheets per week. I also bought two 55" rails and the connector bars. To your point about the MFT, it's a useful device on its own especially with the parallel guides.

When I was going through the sheets per week I built a cutting grid - about 7' x 4' that sits on 4 sawhorses. I would back the truck up and slide a sheet right onto the cutting grid. Then I'd mark the sheet, cut the pieces I needed, rinse, repeat. Neighbors would have loved if I'd the dust extractor then
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Can't comment on the Festool but I like my Makita. I'm certainly no power user but it does great on plywood duty. It's not as accurate as using a table saw but far easier for full sheets or large crosscuts. I confess to not having tried it with a vacuum yet, but am looking forward to less dust than the old skill saw with rip guide system when I do need to make cuts inside.
-----
Justin
I bought the Festool recently for breaking out sheet goods but also for ripping large hardwood planks into usable boards for milling. Because if this, I bought the ts75. The higher initial cost was partialy defrayed by the longer (75") guide bar. I only needed a 32" guide to be able to rip a 4 x 8 sheet.
The Makita is a great saw, I regret selling mine. Not sure how the Triton is but the price is about $400 with 2 small sections of track.
Has anybody on here built their own MFT?
I'd love to have one but for what they cost it certainly gives me pause.
Buck

Business Meetings - None of us is as dumb as all of us.
00lightning said:

I bought the Festool recently for breaking out sheet goods but also for ripping large hardwood planks into usable boards for milling. Because if this, I bought the ts75. The higher initial cost was partialy defrayed by the longer (75") guide bar. I only needed a 32" guide to be able to rip a 4 x 8 sheet.

How do you rip a 4x8 sheet with a 32" guide track?
If you have a cabinet saw, with room for a decent outfeed table, and fence, why use a track saw to rip 4x8 sheets? It's so easy on the ts.
I can see it for crosscuts, if you are in someones house and dust is a concern. But in the shop, I just use a zero clearance guide board.

Does the non slip bottom on the track saws really work? Does the non slip wear out after time? Is it replaceable? If I could ever get myself to trust it to not move, I might put it on the bottom of my guide board.

Thanks for any info.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Yes the non slip stuff does work. I have the clamps but hardly ever use them as its real solid with just the non slip stuff.
Mine has not wore out yet but you can buy it from Makita in rolls.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
The Festool guides DO NOT MOVE. I have the clamps and NEVER HAVE USED THEM. They have a material that really grips the wood and is very reliable, even over a lot of time (I've been using mine for over 5 years).

I have the Festool 55 with a 32, 55 and 108 tracks. I love that set. Having the 108 is WONDERFUL for length cuts (and you don't have to connect/disconnect 2 55's: what a slow down. I bought the 32 recently for smaller cuts. I use the 108 and the 55 just about every time I cut and use the 32 every fourth time (and glad to have it when I need it).

I'm currently considering adding a Festool 75 to help when I do really thick stuff. Anything over 3/4" is just too much for the 55.

This tool is easily my favorite in my shop. I sold my cherry condition vintage 1954 Unisaw shortly after getting it since I just about never needed it (and I'm frequently on site). The Festool would be worth it if it cost double what it does [that said, I did wait 5 years to buy it since it is so expensive so I get why many don't have it]. Bonus features: non skilled help can use it easily.

Another trick I like is get two 8'x2' foam insulation pieces and cut everything on them on the ground. No dust. Super easy.
The newest issue of Fine Woodworking published a track saw test. They tested Festool (both the TS55 and TS75), Mafell (even more expensive than Festool), Makita, Dewalt, Grizzly, and Triton track saws. The Festool TS75 was rated highest, mostly because of its power with 8/4 stock. The Mafell was also rated an Editor's Choice. The Makita was rated Best Value. If all you're using the track saw is for breaking down sheet goods, the Makita is a great choice.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Funny enough- I have a TS55, domino, festool dust extractor and recently (3 weeks ago) bought an MFT.

They play INCREDIBLY nicely with each other... it all "just works"

My only regret is that the 20mm holes in the MFT are a diffferent size than the 3/4 holds in my workbench. This means my holdfasts etc are not compatable with each other... but that is OK really as I use them in different ways.

The MFT really (really) rocks with the festool saw.

Eventually the cost difference will seem negligible and again... together... they "just work"

I do wish the track worked either way though- that sounds cool and long tracks are a pain...

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6